Lead

Sep 24 14 11:14 PM

Tags : :

We've traveled the world one bite at a time!

We've cooked our way across China, Italy, the Pacific Northwest, Russia, the Southern USA, and South America.  Now comes the hard part. LOL

Dates: 9/25 - 9/28 before 7pm central
Style of Challenge: individual non cooking
Points: 2 points per team member OR 25 points if all team members complete the assignment

The Challenge:
We've tried some wonderful food from varied cuisines on our journey. The assignment is to share the TWO recipes which won your (or your families) vote for Best of the Quest. What made you sigh with pleasure or fulfilled your desire to learn a new technique? Which two recipes would you proudly share with friends and family or want to make again? In other words, of those you tried which two recipes would you declare Best of the Quest 2014?

Please Remember to:
~Share your favorite two recipes and tell us why it made your top two list.
~Include a working link and photo (if you took one) for both recipes.
~Everyone likes to see their name in lights so be sure to include the posting chef for each recipe.
~Include your team banner in your post.

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Sep 26 14 6:30 AM

Team: Cake Pops on Parade  .............Score = 14 Points image
1. charmie777
2. dienia b
3. threeovens
4. Sheepdoc
5. Cookgirl
6. Starrynews
7. Diner524

Team:  Cruisin' Culinary Queens .............Score = 16 Points image
1. Lavender Lynn
2. Linky
3. momaphet
4. Lauralie51
5. aKatz
6. Chocolatl
7. WiGal
8. elmotoo

Team: Int'l Agents of Quest  .............Score =  25 Points image
1. evelyn athens
2. twissis
3. Karen E
4. LifeIsGood
5. artandkitchen
6. Mia in Germany
7. Stacy G
8. sofieatoast

Team:  Merry Maids of Mayhem .............Score =  14 Points image
1. Diana
2. Random Rachel
3. breezermom
4. K9 Owned
5. Annacia
6. Muffin Goddess
7. JackieOhNo

Team: Suitcase Gourmets .............Score = 12 Points image
1. Debbwl
2. Baby Kato
3. marramamba2
4. JostLori
5. Bayhill
6. alligirl65

Team Guides.............Score =  image
1. lazyme
2. Vickie

Last Edited By: Vickie Sep 29 14 9:22 AM. Edited 9 times.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 26 14 6:32 AM

Best of the Quest Top Recipes!

Russia
Beef Stroganoff over Buttered Noodles by breezermom  
Chicken and Mushroom Patties (Kotlety or Kotleti) by JackieOhNo
Homemade Butter by Random Rachel
Pohlebka with Buckwheat by threeovens
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Wild Mushrooms and Cream by evelyn/athens
Russian Tea Sandwiches by Mia in Germany
Sirniki - Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes by Mia in Germany

U.S. Southern Cooking
Ace's Ruby Red Grapefruit and Orange Cake by Melissa Winner by KateL
Braised Whiskey Onions by Chocolatl
Cheese and Jalapeno Grits Casserole by Diana/Dib's
Deep Dish Peach Streusel Pie by Chocolatl
Loaded Deviled Eggs by twissis
Memphis Spice Rub by Lavender Lynn
Peach Chipotle BBQ Sauce by elmotoo
Peach Pecan Upside Down Cake by JackieOhNo
Pecan Chicken with Bourbon Sauce by LifeIsGood
Pecan Chicken with Maple Pecan Sauce by evelyn athens
Pork Chop Casserole by diner524
Praline Cornbread by Annacia
Quick Whipping Cream Biscuits by Nancy's Pantry
Slice of Heaven Apple Spice Cake by Muffin Goddess
Slow Cooker Bacon Jam by Charmie777
Sparkling Limeade (non-alcoholic) by Cookgirl
Vinegar Braised Chicken with Greens by threeovens

Italy
Beef Stew with Fennel and Orange Gremolata by marramamba2
Chicken Fettucine Alfredo by PanNan
Chicken Piccata - Giada de Laurentiis by diner524
Cipolline in Agrodolce by elmotoo
Farfalle al Salmone Affumicato (Pasta with Smoked Salmon Cream) by evelyn/athens
Gremolata Butter by Annacia
Mozzarella Chicken and Mushrooms by Muffin Goddess
Mussels with Basil Cream by K9 Owned
Pork Scaloppine with Mustard Pan Sauce by Vickie
Prosciutto and Mozzarella Heros with Olive Relish by marramamba2
Rigatoni with Cheese and Italian Sausage by Linky
Risotto with Artichoke Hearts, Prosciutto and Red Bell Pepper Sauce by lazyme
Salmon Pesto Focaccia Sandwiches by twissis
Sausage and Peppers Lasagna by threeovens
Sheila's Best Balsamic Dressing by Stacy G

South America
Brazilian Chicken and Rice with Olives by Nancy's Pantry
Chilean Pistou with Cilantro Pesto by aKatz
Chimichurri Bread by Paula G
Choripan by breezermom
Coco Kiss Pumpkin Muffins by evelyn athens
Cumin Seasoned Fish Tacos by WiGal
Linguica con Queso (Cheese-Grilled Sausage) by Chocolatl
Peruvian Potatoes with Avocado Dip by Debbwl
Pulled Beef - Venezuelan Pabellon Criollo by PaulaG
Sea Salt Dulce de Leche Ice Cream (Ice Cream Maker) by Muffin Goddess
South American Flank Steak by lazyme
Sweet Potato and Yuca Oven Fries by LifeIsGood
Venezuelan Perico by Baby Kato
Vegetarian Lomo Saltado by alvinakatz

China
Chicken and Mushroom Soup  by breezermom
Chicken Simmer in Soy and Star Anise by Lauralie41
Mongolian Beef by Lavender Lynn
Shortcut Asian Dumpling Soup by sofie-a-toast
Shrimp Pot Stickers - Dim Sum by marramamba2
Spicy Cashew Pork by evelyn/athens
Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings by Lavender Lynn
Take Out Orange Chicken by rosie316

Pacific Northwest
Berry Oatmeal Crisp by JackieOhNo
Blue Note Cafe's Spinach Salad by Lavender Lynn
Copper River King Salmon with Berry Ginger Salsa by lazyme
Crab Louis by lazyme
Creamy Clam Chowder by Lavender Lynn
Dungeness Crab and Asparagus Salad with Orange Vinagre by breezermom
Goregonzola Steak by Cookgirl
Hungry Girls Berry Licious Lemon Drop by threeovens
Lemon Drop Liqueur by Annacia
Lemon Grilled Salmon with Corn Salad by WiGal
Lemon Pancakes with Berry Topping by diner524
Mom's Apple Cake by Mia in Germany
Mushroom Caviar by JackieOhNO
Northwest Hazelnut Crinkle Cookies by Annacia
Smoked Salmon Burger (Tomato, Red Onion and Avocado) by twissis
Swiss Mushroom Chicken by diner524

Last Edited By: Vickie Oct 2 14 6:01 AM. Edited 14 times.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 26 14 7:45 AM

Frist let me thank all who worked so hard to put this quest together, it was by far the most fun and best quest I have ever been on. Also want to give a shot out to my team mates who all came together to support and help each other in the best of all ways ensuring that everyone on the team felt treasured.

Our first favorite of the whole tour was from China it was Breezermom’s  Chicken and Mushroom Soup  http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/soup/soup-chicken-soup/chicken-and-mushroom-soup.html?cpage=1#comment1674425 I made this tag because I had some dried mixed wild mushrooms that needed using. Ok I knew reading the recipe it would be good but it was better than good it was you feel like royalty eating and can’t wait to make it for a couple we occasionally have dinner with. I was not able to get a good photo of this dark rich looking broth because of the steam.

Our second favorite was Mia’s Sirniki-Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/breakfast/breakfast-pancakes/sirniki-farmers-cheese-pancakes.html I had as much fun learning about Russian breakfast foods as I did making and enjoying this tasty cakes. These are light fluffy, filling with a rich cheese goodness that is like a warm hug from your grandmother. Again I did not get a good photo but BK’s photo (posted to recipe) really does show how thick and nice they do turn out.

x_3f857df8 photo x_3f857df8_zps88a318c3.gif

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 26 14 8:05 AM

First of all, I cannot believe what a superb job Susie and her team did in not only finding us a home, but one that seems so friendly and fun, just as the name implies.  I have to agree with Debbwl that this Quest was the best.  I find the atmosphere friendly and relaxed and I am sure everyone had a good time!  As far as the food goes that is a difficult choice, it seems everyone outdid themselves with the available choices.  It was hard choosing what to make and everything came out so well.  There were two recipes that sort of changed my life though.

1.  Homemade Butter by Random Rachel.  I haven't bought butter since I made this and I do not plan to.  I've also made sour cream and yogurt, heh heh heh.

2.  Peach Chipotle BBQ Sauce by elmotoo.  I hadn't been on the chipotle bandwagon until the BBQ sauce cookoff.  I made a bunch of them and the Peach Chipotle one stood out as the winner for us.

I also need to mention the one recipe I am still dying to make.  I have all the ingredients, but haven't found the time to do it right.  My team is probably getting tired of hearing me talk about it, right Dee?  Guava Cheesecake with Cashew Ginger Crust by Muffin Goddess.  And I love Chinese 5 Spice.  I had never had it before.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 26 14 8:23 AM

threeovens wrote:
First of all, I cannot believe what a superb job Susie and her team did in not only finding us a home, but one that seems so friendly and fun, just as the name implies.  I have to agree with Debbwl that this Quest was the best.  I find the atmosphere friendly and relaxed and I am sure everyone had a good time!  As far as the food goes that is a difficult choice, it seems everyone outdid themselves with the available choices.  It was hard choosing what to make and everything came out so well.  There were two recipes that sort of changed my life though.

1.  Homemade Butter by Random Rachel.  I haven't bought butter since I made this and I do not plan to.  I've also made sour cream and yogurt, heh heh heh.

2.  Peach Chipotle BBQ Sauce by elmotoo.  I hadn't been on the chipotle bandwagon until the BBQ sauce cookoff.  I made a bunch of them and the Peach Chipotle one stood out as the winner for us.

I also need to mention the one recipe I am still dying to make.  I have all the ingredients, but haven't found the time to do it right.  My team is probably getting tired of hearing me talk about it, right Dee?  Guava Cheesecake with Cashew Ginger Crust by Muffin Goddess.  And I love Chinese 5 Spice.  I had never had it before.

omg, really???  THANK YOU so much, threeovens!  That really means a lot because it was one of my first canning experiments never mind my first own homemade BBQ sauce experiments.  I had a craving and that's the result.  Thank you again.  xoxo Beth

xo Bethie

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 26 14 8:35 AM

lol 3 ovens ANY cake by muffin goddess seems to be awesome
thank everyone for an awesome tour i found soooo many good recipes and i LOVE playing with all of you and im happy that you you guys worked so hard to make this happen ,im so happy was invited to play if anyone could post the pictures for mine i would be grateful , hows that for a run on sentence? lololol

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 26 14 10:15 AM

Thank you to all the hosts for an amazing tour.  You ladies did an awesome job and put in lots of hard work, which we all really appreciate. 

Thank you so much for making this first adventure at our new home, so memorable.

I had the best time; was on a great team with wonderful ladies, had the best captain and tour guide, made some excellent recipes, and tried a few new ingredients and thoroughly enjoyed myself with the challenges.

Narrowing it done to two recipes will be difficult as we truly enjoyed many, but here goes.... my dh & I both picked one, .... both choices are from China ... and belong to my Suitcase Gourmet teammates.

1.   Chinese Take Out Orange Chicken by rosie316

http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-take-out-orange-chicken-509663

I love orange chicken and this recipe is certainly restaurant worthy.  It is so worth the extra time and effort to make and it tastes even better than it smells. This recipe is so good that I will never order it from a chinese restaurant again. The chicken was perfect, crisp, yet tender and the sauce was beyond amazing. 

When I read the ingredients, I knew that we would enjoy it.  I just didn't realize how much.  I have made this three times now and each time tastes like the first time.  Easily our favorite recipe of the tour, I would serve this to anyone and be proud. 

2.  Shrimp Pot Stickers Dim Sum by marramamba

http://www.food.com/recipe/shrimp-pot-stickers-dim-sum-249894

My husband and I both love shrimp dim sums and this recipe certainly does not disappoint.  It was quick and easy to make, with excellent results.  I have made this twice already and can't wait to make it again.  The flavors in the dim sum and the sauce are delicious and compliment one another perfectly.   The shrimp is so tender and juicy and full of flavor.  I am ashamed to say that I could easily eat the whole batch myself. 

This recipe has gone into our keeper box to be enjoyed often along with Rosie's chicken recipe.   Thank you both so much.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 26 14 10:26 AM

dienia b wrote:
http://www.food.com/recipe/smoked-salmon-burger-tomato-red-onion-and-avocado-306206/ twiss my sister says every time i mention this i drool this bumped out sheepdogs breakfast burrito im in love smoked salmon who knew? not me weeeellll i do now
http://www.food.com/recipe/crab-louis-491278 lazyme just plain good loved this
cakepops on parade on cake pops im going to say my honorable mentions lol

Well, Dee....I'm not sure that this is the best way to grab images or not - but I was able to post them here. I think. lol.
And thanks so much for picking the Crab Louis as one of your favs! Thanks!!

Smoked salmon burger

Crab Louis

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 26 14 11:09 AM

For the Gift Shop

I always struggle with this part of the Quest/Tour. I tried so many wonderful recipes and many will be repeats at my home. Thank you all for your wonderful recipes that you offered. I still have many that I would like to make and plan on making more in the coming months.

I was finally able to whittle down my list to these two.

http://www.food.com/recipe/linguica-con-queso-cheese-grilled-sausage-456326 by Chocolatl
I've never tried linguica sausage before and now it's one of my favorites. This was about as simple as it gets with 2 ingredients. It was such a great spicy treat while watching football and will definitely be a repeat for us.

http://www.food.com/recipe/slice-of-heaven-apple-spice-cake-183485 by Muffin Goddess
I'm not usually much of a sweets person and I'm not a baker at all. Well.....I'm still not a baker - this starts out with a mix and a can. lol. But it's so good. My grandson shared some of this with friends, and now they have requested that I make this when they come over again.

Thanks to all of the players for making the Quest so fun!!

(For some reason, Photobucket won't let me grab the photos. image )

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 26 14 11:20 AM

Our favorite recipes for Culinary Quest 2014 were

http://www.food.com/recipe/brazilian-chicken-and-rice-with-olives-513812 by Nancy's Pantry.  This was my DH's favorite.  He thought the collection of flavors was fantastic.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pork-chop-casserole-245591 by Diner524.  This was my favorite. The flavor was delicious and it hit all my comfort food buttons. I discovered all the foods my Mom had been cooking all those years were from the south. It started when I was adding recipes for the Southern region. Seeing all her recipes and studying the South, I felt like I had discovered my roots.

Last Edited By: Lavender Lynn Sep 26 14 10:15 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 26 14 12:09 PM

It's so hard to pick my favorites, there were so many wonderful recipes!  Thank you so much so much to all the people who organized this great adventure. While it's still convenient to post recipes and find them on the "old" site, it seemed much easier to take part in the tour/quest on Yuku.

I thought consulting with DH would help narrow my choices down, but he gave up and went to bed! Which is where I'm headed soon...

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/dessert-cookies/northwest-hazelnut-crinkle-cookies.html by annacia (remind me of something my mom would have made, I know she'd love these, too)

and http://www.food.com/recipe/risotto-with-artichoke-hearts-prosciutto-and-red-bell-pepper-392826 by lazyme (It was the first time I've made risotto and well worth the effort)

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 26 14 12:31 PM

For the International Agents of Quest!

It is so sad that the quest is coming to an end, but such a joy to follow one of my favourite threads at the end of a tour - 'Best Of'.  This is such an eye-opener for recipes I haven't tried, and should, and I find myself saving so many!

First of all, a big thank you to the organizers who have done such an amazing job...you guys really put in a lot of hard work so that the rest of us can play, and I do appreciate it.

Secondly, a surreptitious hug to this wonderful team of agents I was placed on this year!  We've had our ups and downs, but we kept plowing through, and were there for each other.  Twissis, you are an amazing captain!  LifeIsGood/Kathy provided amazing support and a positive attitude all around.  My fellow agents all truly went well and beyond the call of duty - I've never been on such a cooking team!  And I do have to give special mention to Adriana and Stacy's amazing photographs...they kept us glued (and drooling) at our screens at a daily basis.

Now for the hard part, whittling down this amazing experience to just two recipes.

My first would have to be my fellow agent Mia's http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/breakfast/breakfast-pancakes/sirniki-farmers-cheese-pancakes.html (photo by Baby Kato)

Fluffy, sweet-cheesy morsels of goodness.  I have made these 3 times over the Quest for my family, served both with apricot preserves and, most recently, with sour cherry, and they are amazing!  A recipe I will cherish and use for the rest of my life...and isn't that what the Quest is really about?

The second recipe is http://www.food.com/recipe/cumin-seasoned-fish-tacos-480852 by WiGal.  (Photo by KateL)

Couldn't have been easier to make and the salsa was freakin-fantastic!!!  My family loved this recipe and, again, it has lovingly been stored in my 'keeper' box so that I can make it often.

See you all next year for more fun!!!

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 26 14 3:31 PM

Baby Kato wrote:

Thank you to all the hosts for an amazing tour.  You ladies did an awesome job and put in lots of hard work, which we all really appreciate. 

Thank you so much for making this first adventure at our new home, so memorable.

I had the best time; was on a great team with wonderful ladies, had the best captain and tour guide, made some excellent recipes, and tried a few new ingredients and thoroughly enjoyed myself with the challenges.

Narrowing it done to two recipes will be difficult as we truly enjoyed many, but here goes.... my dh & I both picked one, .... both choices are from China ... and belong to my Suitcase Gourmet teammates.

1.   Chinese Take Out Orange Chicken by rosie316

http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-take-out-orange-chicken-509663

I love orange chicken and this recipe is certainly restaurant worthy.  It is so worth the extra time and effort to make and it tastes even better than it smells. This recipe is so good that I will never order it from a chinese restaurant again. The chicken was perfect, crisp, yet tender and the sauce was beyond amazing. 

When I read the ingredients, I knew that we would enjoy it.  I just didn't realize how much.  I have made this three times now and each time tastes like the first time.  Easily our favorite recipe of the tour, I would serve this to anyone and be proud. 

2.  Shrimp Pot Stickers Dim Sum by marramamba

http://www.food.com/recipe/shrimp-pot-stickers-dim-sum-249894

My husband and I both love shrimp dim sums and this recipe certainly does not disappoint.  It was quick and easy to make, with excellent results.  I have made this twice already and can't wait to make it again.  The flavors in the dim sum and the sauce are delicious and compliment one another perfectly.   The shrimp is so tender and juicy and full of flavor.  I am ashamed to say that I could easily eat the whole batch myself. 

This recipe has gone into our keeper box to be enjoyed often along with Rosie's chicken recipe.   Thank you both so much.

Thanks so much for choosing my shrimp dim sum.  You were a great teammate as were all my team mates

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 26 14 4:08 PM

It’s always a big challenge for me to pick the BEST of any “Tour”, but for this Tour we get to choose 2 recipes. Yea! -- But there is something I’ve had no trouble choosing 1 of & that is a word to describe The Culinary Quest & the incredible job done by the Host Team. I said it early on in the Main Thread, but it needs to be said again with our thanks.

This was my 1st time to be Captain of a team & it has been an honor to serve as Captain beside such a special & unselfish group of ladies, cooks & photographers. I admire each of you.

For me, the Best of the Quest was all about the salmon (Logical if you’re from Iceland where salmon is revered). There was a tie for my 2 faves between:

http://www.food.com/recipe/copper-river-king-salmon-with-berry-ginger-salsa-491261 by lazyme (Pacific NW)
image  ...... AND ......

http://www.food.com/recipe/farfalle-al-salmone-affumicato-pasta-with-smoked-salmon-cream-454936 by evelyn/athens (Italy)

Sorry Susie, but I can’t help myself - Honorable Mention goes to:
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/breakfast/breakfast-egg-breakfast/smoked-salmon-breakfast-burrito.html?cpage=1#comment1683233 by Sheepdoc (Pacific NW)
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/salmon-balls-13582 by Chocolatl (Pacific NW)
http://www.food.com/recipe/kisels-pureed-fruit-dessert-307776 by MarraMamba (Russia)

*** All these recipes have a common theme: Fresh Ingredients (Salmon caught by my DH (some smoked at his smokehouse of choice), Blueberries picked by him in the Icelandic countryside & Rhubarb from the garden of a friend).

See all of you next year !!

Last Edited By: twissis Sep 26 14 5:19 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 26 14 5:24 PM

imageimage

Thank you for our first YUKU QUEST, I have so enjoyed it, and was on the best team ever ;)     Thank you teammates, I've made new friends and enjoyed such camaraderie, and reeled in amazement at my talented colleagues!!!  And to all the other players and Hosts, thank you for everything, everyone contributed SO MUCH, its been amazing!!!!
My only regret is that towards the end of the Tour I was beset by work issues which held me back from full participation, but, thank goodness I have managed to get back online for this last Challenge!!

My favourite 2 recipes?  A daunting request!!!!

My first choice has to be

http://www.food.com/recipe/pecan-chicken-with-maple-pecan-sauce-80538 by my teamate Evelyn/athens, made for US Southern --- such a simple dish that blew me away. I rarely cook breasts whole like this, I was so glad I took the leap,  loved the recipe as was, and then it became my favourite sandwich filling -- cook the breasts, chill and slice and use for the most awesome sandwiches ever, with butter, rocket and sliced peppadews -- ooh, I want some now ;)

and number 2, I think I'd have to go for

http://www.food.com/recipe/chilean-pistou-with-cilantro-pesto-517880 by alvinakatz, made for South America

again, a remarkably simple recipe (always my best ;)  )   with great depth, this soup was oh so comforting, so good, so healthy!!!!   I'm generally not a lover of soup but I found this excellent on so many levels (including clearing out the fridge).  What put it over the top for me?   The pesto ----   not only a fabulous pesto in itself, for all sorts of uses (including on chicken sandwiches ;)  ) --   but a dollop on top of soup --- I will never eat soup again without my dollop of pesto, this was outrageously good and I can only say THANK YOU for such a wonderful idea!!!

So,  thank you once again, one and all, and I lookn forward to the next Tour!!!

Last Edited By: Karen E Sep 26 14 5:27 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 26 14 5:49 PM

Sheepdoc for Cakep Pops on Parade

I'm so glad this continued on - thanks to all the organizers, hosts, and my great team-mates, especially captain threeovens for saving me from a technology disaster! This is a great site and thanks to the f$%#.com troubles, I went searching for other recipe sites. My favorite of those is Justapinch. I like that you can put a recipe you found elsewhere on there with one click. 

The hands-down winner of family favorite is http://www.food.com/recipe/memphis-spice-rub-517596 by Lavender Lynn. We've had it several times, on ribs and domestic rabbit. 

The other fav was http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-bacon-jam-492270 by Charmie777. I used that as an add-in or accompaniment to so many other dishes. 

My personal favorites were anything with salmon, but no one else in my house likes salmon, so they weren't family faves. 
Honorable mentions: 
http://www.food.com/recipe/salmon-cilantro-potato-salad-179574 by twissis
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/apple-salmon-salad-bowl-13246 by dienia b

I still have a number of recipes to make, and I'll probably make a lot of other people's faves, too!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help