#81 [url]

Aug 21 16 3:55 AM

Mia in Germany wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Mia in Germany wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Mia in Germany wrote:
As we don't grill on a real grill at the moment, I had to make something that could be done under the broiler, so I went for PanNan's http://www.food.com/recipe/broiled-or-barbecued-chicken-with-lemon-427687 

I had a small organic chicken which I prepared according to the recipe directions, then I put it on the grilling rack which I had oiled well, with an aluminum foil covered pan underneath to prevent dripping into the oven. I broiled the basted chicken pieces for about 25 minutes on medium (my oven has three grilling/broiling stages), basting and turning the pieces twice during the broiling process, then for the last five minutes I broiled them on high to get a nice crisp. It turned out very flavourful and with just the right crisp!

Hi Mia,

I really apologize, but this challenge requires that you use a bbq grill to complete your recipe.  I do realize that the recipe has instruction for both broiling and grilling, but you would have had to grill it in order to get credit.

You may still use this recipe toward "extra cooking".

Thanks.

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the heads up! I'll use this for extra cooking and post it over there. If I use an electric indoor bbq grill, does that count? You put the meat on it like on a charcoal grill, ist's just electric and without fire.

Hi Mia,

For this challenge, we are trying to mirror the Ancient Greek method of grilling over an open flame or fire and that's why a gas or charcoal grill was specified for this challenge.  Unfortunately, an electric grill would not satisfy the requirement for this challenge.

O dear, I do feel stupid. Next time I read the instructions properly... Sorry for the mess! It's embarassing and I hope it will not have any negative consequences for my team, but I'm afraid I have to step back from this challenge image
Thanks for your patience image

No worries, Mia -- don't even give it a second thought.  I know many people love to grill so it shouldn't be hard to fill the slot.

Thank you sooo much for offering to participate in this challenge -- just sorry that it didn't work out for you. image  image

Quote    Reply   

#82 [url]

Aug 21 16 5:26 AM

For this challenge I made Lamb Steaks with Thyme by LeggyPeggy 
https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/lamb-steaks-with-thyme/#comment-2090.

This was super delicious the lamb chops were moist and flavorful after being marinated in olive oil with garlic, lemon juice and two types of thyme, and the herb butter added after cooking was quite decadent! Since I was just cooking two small chops I used the gas grill and added a pouch of Applewood chips for some extra flavor.
I am the grillmeister in our house here are a few of my favorite tips for successful grilling.

• Don't grill meat straight from the fridge, allow time for the meat to sit out for at least 20-30 minutes, this is most important for steaks, loins and other larger pieces of meat but good for chicken and chops too. Your meat will cook quicker and more evenly this way.
  • I have a cast iron box for adding soaked woodchips but if you don't have one just use make a pouch with aluminum foil, I leave an opening at the top and poke a few holes in the bottom.
  • For most grilling it's important to have two zones on your grill for direct and indirect cooking, sear your meat and them finish it off over indirect heat to avoid over charring.
  • One of the most important tools I use in the kitchen or at the grill is a good digital thermometer. I have a both a probe type and an instant read depending on what I'm cooking. I love the probe, I put it in set the alert to the temperature I want to avoid over cooking - remember your meat will continue to cook as it rests so come in low on traditional temps for rare, med rare etc.[color=#000000]​image[/color]

Quote    Reply   

#83 [url]

Aug 21 16 6:44 AM

momaphet wrote:
For this challenge I made Lamb Steaks with Thyme by LeggyPeggy 
https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/lamb-steaks-with-thyme/#comment-2090.

This was super delicious the lamb chops were moist and flavorful after being marinated in olive oil with garlic, lemon juice and two types of thyme, and the herb butter added after cooking was quite decadent! Since I was just cooking two small chops I used the gas grill and added a pouch of Applewood chips for some extra flavor.
I am the grillmeister in our house here are a few of my favorite tips for successful grilling.
  • Don't grill meat straight from the fridge, allow time for the meat to sit out for at least 20-30 minutes, this is most important for steaks, loins and other larger pieces of meat but good for chicken and chops too. Your meat will cook quicker and more evenly this way.
  • I have a cast iron box for adding soaked woodchips but if you don't have one just use make a pouch with aluminum foil, I leave an opening at the top and poke a few holes in the bottom.
  • For most grilling it's important to have two zones on your grill for direct and indirect cooking, sear your meat and them finish it off over indirect heat to avoid over charring.
  • One of the most important tools I use in the kitchen or at the grill is a good digital thermometer. I have a both a probe type and an instant read depending on what I'm cooking. I love the probe, I put it in set the alert to the temperature I want to avoid over cooking - remember your meat will continue to cook as it rests so come in low on traditional temps for rare, med rare etc.[color=#000000]​image[/color]

WOW!  Spoken like a true grill woman!  And, this photo proves it.  Looks fabulous -- thanks for all the tips and techniques.

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Aug 21 16 1:10 PM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Mia in Germany wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Mia in Germany wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Mia in Germany wrote:
As we don't grill on a real grill at the moment, I had to make something that could be done under the broiler, so I went for PanNan's http://www.food.com/recipe/broiled-or-barbecued-chicken-with-lemon-427687 

I had a small organic chicken which I prepared according to the recipe directions, then I put it on the grilling rack which I had oiled well, with an aluminum foil covered pan underneath to prevent dripping into the oven. I broiled the basted chicken pieces for about 25 minutes on medium (my oven has three grilling/broiling stages), basting and turning the pieces twice during the broiling process, then for the last five minutes I broiled them on high to get a nice crisp. It turned out very flavourful and with just the right crisp!

Hi Mia,

I really apologize, but this challenge requires that you use a bbq grill to complete your recipe.  I do realize that the recipe has instruction for both broiling and grilling, but you would have had to grill it in order to get credit.

You may still use this recipe toward "extra cooking".

Thanks.

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the heads up! I'll use this for extra cooking and post it over there. If I use an electric indoor bbq grill, does that count? You put the meat on it like on a charcoal grill, ist's just electric and without fire.

Hi Mia,

For this challenge, we are trying to mirror the Ancient Greek method of grilling over an open flame or fire and that's why a gas or charcoal grill was specified for this challenge.  Unfortunately, an electric grill would not satisfy the requirement for this challenge.

O dear, I do feel stupid. Next time I read the instructions properly... Sorry for the mess! It's embarassing and I hope it will not have any negative consequences for my team, but I'm afraid I have to step back from this challenge image
Thanks for your patience image

No worries, Mia -- don't even give it a second thought.  I know many people love to grill so it shouldn't be hard to fill the slot.

Thank you sooo much for offering to participate in this challenge -- just sorry that it didn't work out for you. image  image

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

Aug 21 16 8:57 PM

Representing Pi Rho Maniacs for the Greek Grill-it-Up Challenge!

For this challenge I made Diner524:  http://www.food.com/recipe/gyro-steaks-503659.

These Gyro Steaks were well enjoyed and fun to make.  So Greek!  One of my daughters in particular who loves steak, salivated over this one. 

I love it when the weather turns nice and we can start grilling our meats, fish and veggies.  Below is my grilling story.For years we used a gas grill due to the ease of it.  All we  had to do is turn a dial and the fire is lit up.  This I felt is necessary after coming home from a long work day, there was just no time to play around with coals.  My mind changed though after I accepted the fact that food coming out of a grill using coals was superior in taste than the food cooked with a gas grill.  The woody chary taste just wasn’t there in a gas grill.  Yes, I’ve used the wood chip baskets and all that when I cooked over a gas grill, but the comparison just didn’t equate to the charcoal.
Below are the tips that we follow.  My husband usually lights up the grill (though I do too, but he does it more often), but I'm the one always cookin'er up.  

1. Make sure that coals are red hot before adding your food to the grates. 

2.  Oil the grates by sopping a thick band of paper towels and holding it with a tong.  Grease it back and forth.

3.  Know how to position your meat; recognize where the hot spots are so that your meats/fish cook correctly.  Thicker parts over the hotter sections and thinner parts of your meats over the cooler sections. 

4.  Patience is key:  don’t’ poke, prod, press your meat down with a spatula.  Doing this will prematurely release those natural juices that we love so much.  Therefore time your meats and recognize with your eye when meat/fish/veggies is cooked to desired doneness.  Also a digital thermometer is a great thing to use, though overtime, I've not used it so much because feel, eye with experience works well.  

5.  To add smokiness; we use wood chunks that have been soaked in water.  This imparts such a nice memorable flavor!

6.  When you are not getting that char over leaner meats, I squeeze the oil soaked paper towel in between the grates to the sections where I want the meat to char and it will flare right up.  Of course being careful not to overdo it so that you won’t cause a fire.

7.  If  there is much too strong of a flare-up when cooking those oiler fattier products, close the lid, it will calm it right down.  Don’t add water, it will make it worse. 

8.  Invest in a good quality grill basket and grilling tray.  Both I find are ESSENTIAL where the tray holds all your veggies without them falling through the grates and trying to fish them out unsuccessfully.  The grill tray will result in your fish/portabello’s, etc. cooking perfectly without losing half of it falling or sticking to the grates. 

9.  Make sure that your foods are seasoned right to achieve that yumminess.  

Last Edited By: ForeverMama Aug 21 16 9:08 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Aug 21 16 9:43 PM

ForeverMama wrote:

For this challenge I made Diner524:  http://www.food.com/recipe/gyro-steaks-503659.

These Gyro Steaks were well enjoyed and fun to make.  So Greek!  One of my daughters in particular who loves steak, salivated over this one. 

I love it when the weather turns nice and we can start grilling our meats, fish and veggies.  Below is my grilling story.For years we used a gas grill due to the ease of it.  All we  had to do is turn a dial and the fire is lit up.  This I felt is necessary after coming home from a long work day, there was just no time to play around with coals.  My mind changed though after I accepted the fact that food coming out of a grill using coals was superior in taste than the food cooked with a gas grill.  The woody chary taste just wasn’t there in a gas grill.  Yes, I’ve used the wood chip baskets and all that when I cooked over a gas grill, but the comparison just didn’t equate to the charcoal.
Below are the tips that we follow.  My husband usually lights up the grill (though I do too, but he does it more often), but I'm the one always cookin'er up.  

1. Make sure that coals are red hot before adding your food to the grates. 

2.  Oil the grates by sopping a thick band of paper towels and holding it with a tong.  Grease it back and forth.

3.  Know how to position your meat; recognize where the hot spots are so that your meats/fish cook correctly.  Thicker parts over the hotter sections and thinner parts of your meats over the cooler sections. 

4.  Patience is key:  don’t’ poke, prod, press your meat down with a spatula.  Doing this will prematurely release those natural juices that we love so much.  Therefore time your meats and recognize with your eye when meat/fish/veggies is cooked to desired doneness.  Also a digital thermometer is a great thing to use, though overtime, I've not used it so much because feel, eye with experience works well.  

5.  To add smokiness; we use wood chunks that have been soaked in water.  This imparts such a nice memorable flavor!

6.  When you are not getting that char over leaner meats, I squeeze the oil soaked paper towel in between the grates to the sections where I want the meat to char and it will flare right up.  Of course being careful not to overdo it so that you won’t cause a fire.

7.  If  there is much too strong of a flare-up when cooking those oiler fattier products, close the lid, it will calm it right down.  Don’t add water, it will make it worse. 

8.  Invest in a good quality grill basket and grilling tray.  Both I find are ESSENTIAL where the tray holds all your veggies without them falling through the grates and trying to fish them out unsuccessfully.  The grill tray will result in your fish/portabello’s, etc. cooking perfectly without losing half of it falling or sticking to the grates. 

9.  Make sure that your foods are seasoned right to achieve that yumminess.  

Another amazing Grill Woman!!!!!   Love the photos -- how I wish I had a bite!!!!

Thank you sooo much for the fantastic grill tips and techniques.  My hope is to be a better griller with all of this helpful info -- DH needs it too! : )  

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Aug 21 16 10:12 PM

For the Gift Shop

Grill It Up! -
http://4foodfriendsandfun.yuku.com/topic/1720/Grill-It-Up-Greek-Style
BK - Greek Pork Chops 

Like some of you, I am a novice at grilling but I have learned a few things...from past experiences... I used a gas bbq....

Always remember to check the gas before you start bbq, you don't want to run out...like I did, very embarrassing... also make sure to keep your grill clean, a dirty grill can flare up, smoke constantly and leave a bad taste in your food. 

Take your meat out so that it comes to room temperature before you start grilling it will cook more evenly this way.

To have a successful bbq it's a good idea to have everything prepared before you start bbqing, you need to pay attention to what you are cooking, walk away briefly and it can burn, especially when cooking porkchops at a high heat like I did.

Since searing is the secret to great grilled flavor, its the first thing I did, caramelizing the surface of the porkchops makes them flavorful and crisp.  I started with a hot grill, put the meat on and waited a few minutes, flipped and then reduced the heat and continued cooking until the chops were done.  They turned out perfect.

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

Aug 21 16 10:13 PM

Here's a freebie tip that kills two birds with one stone --

We use a charcoal starter bucket to get our coals going.  Instead of newspaper like some people use -- my DH uses our shredded materials from the shredder.  Beats having to take the shredded material to be recycled. LOL

Quote    Reply   

#91 [url]

Aug 22 16 12:44 AM

Linky wrote:
Almost ready to fire up the grill, but need to make sure this recipe will count for the grilling challenge.
Note that it states to "pan fry, grill or broil"
Here's the link: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/burgers/greek-burgers-2.html?p=258

This recipe should be okay as long as the burger is grilled on a gas or charcoal grill.  The recipe does gives the option of grilling in the instructions and burgers are generally grilled over an open flame.

Quote    Reply   

#92 [url]

Aug 22 16 5:28 AM

I have made and reviewed   http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-pork-chops-23991 by Diner524

We used a charcoal grill with Kingsford briquettes.

1. I only use the amt of charcoal needed to cook what is on that menu, for today's recipe that means just a small amt.
If I am cooking for a large group will cover the entire bottom with charcoal.

2. When I am done grilling, I put the lid on the grill.  That way there are partially used briquettes to help start the next barbecue.

Quote    Reply   

#93 [url]

Aug 22 16 7:53 AM

We have a Weber grill that we've had for ever - it was my parents' grill since circa 1960. We use Kingsford charcoal, too!

Tips - always make sure you wait long enough for the coals to be uniformly gray and glowing. 
After searing the meat at a high temperature, partially close the vents to reduce the heat.
Put on the cover and close all the vents when done grilling. Do not touch it or you will get burned!
If you hide an Easter egg in it and no one remembers that it's there, be prepared for a yucky odor.

This is my Greek Grilling Gastronomic Goodie:
 http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/burgers/greek-burgers-2.html?p=258 by Nancy's Patio

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

Aug 22 16 8:30 PM

Baby Kato wrote:
For the Gift Shop

Grill It Up! -
http://4foodfriendsandfun.yuku.com/topic/1720/Grill-It-Up-Greek-Style
BK - Greek Pork Chops 

Like some of you, I am a novice at grilling but I have learned a few things...from past experiences... I used a gas bbq....

Always remember to check the gas before you start bbq, you don't want to run out...like I did, very embarrassing... also make sure to keep your grill clean, a dirty grill can flare up, smoke constantly and leave a bad taste in your food. 

Take your meat out so that it comes to room temperature before you start grilling it will cook more evenly this way.

To have a successful bbq it's a good idea to have everything prepared before you start bbqing, you need to pay attention to what you are cooking, walk away briefly and it can burn, especially when cooking porkchops at a high heat like I did.

Since searing is the secret to great grilled flavor, its the first thing I did, caramelizing the surface of the porkchops makes them flavorful and crisp.  I started with a hot grill, put the meat on and waited a few minutes, flipped and then reduced the heat and continued cooking until the chops were done.  They turned out perfect.

Those chops look terrific!  Thank you so much for the great grilling tips and techniquest offered as well. 

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Aug 22 16 8:34 PM

Lavender Lynn wrote:
I have made and reviewed   http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-pork-chops-23991 by Diner524

1. I only use the amt of charcoal needed to cook what is on that menu, for today's recipe that means just a small amt.

2. When I am done grilling, I put the lid on the grill.  That way there are partially used briquettes to help start the next barbecue.

More great-looking chops - yum!  Thanks for the helpful tips and techniques as well.

***Your review is not yet showing on Zazz - please watch for it to be sure it shows up***

Quote    Reply   

#97 [url]

Aug 22 16 8:37 PM

Linky wrote:
We have a Weber grill that we've had for ever - it was my parents' grill since circa 1960. We use Kingsford charcoal, too!

Tips - always make sure you wait long enough for the coals to be uniformly gray and glowing. 
After searing the meat at a high temperature, partially close the vents to reduce the heat.
Put on the cover and close all the vents when done grilling. Do not touch it or you will get burned!
If you hide an Easter egg in it and no one remembers that it's there, be prepared for a yucky odor.

This is my Greek Grilling Gastronomic Goodie:
 http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/burgers/greek-burgers-2.html?p=258 by Nancy's Patio

Those Greek burgers look great - thanks!!!   I think you get the grand prize, so far, for the best grilling tip -- never leave an Easter egg hidden in the grill.  I wonder how many times that has happened. LOL

Too funny!

Quote    Reply   

#100 [url]

Aug 22 16 10:06 PM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Lavender Lynn wrote:

More great-looking chops - yum!  Thanks for the helpful tips and techniques as well.

***Your review is not yet showing on Zazz - please watch for it to be sure it shows up***

My review is on the recipe.  My name on recipezazz is Pelysma.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help