Tags : :
Welcome to the Culinary Quest! Players are traveling the world one bite at a time.
Start Date: August 12th
End Date: August 25th
Player Limit: 5 players per team
Challenge Type: Individual Cooking
Points: 3 points per player for a possible team total of 15 points
Prepare any meat or seafood "grilling" recipe from the list of approved recipes for Greece.
Include a minimum of two grilling tips or techniques that you used to prepare or grill your recipe. Please also include whether you used a gas grill, charcoal grill, smoker, rotisserie and what type of wood, if any, that you used to flavor your meat or seafood.
Post your completion in this thread and in your team thread. Include photos of your delicious grilled masterpiece (optional).
IT TURNS OUT THE ANCIENT GREEKS WERE QUITE THE GRILL MASTERS!!!
The Mycenaean civilization, the forerunner to classical Greece and the backdrop for the "Illiad" and the "Odyssey", is best known for its lavish palaces and treasure-filled tombs. But, we've also learned that the Mycenaeans also knew how to throw a pretty mean barbecue.
For a long time, archaeologists could not determine how the ancient Greeks used the cookware found at excavation sites, from the Mycenaean period, which lasted from 1600 to 1100 B.C.
Archaeologists found ceramic trays for skewered meat (known as souvlaki in Greece), griddles with a smooth side and an opposite side textured with small perforations.
Much effort was placed upon determining the ancient Greek grilling technique. Archaeologists tried placing the souvlakl trays on top of the hot coals, but the meat didn't get hot enough. But when they put the coals directly in the pan, the meat cooked perfectly. As for the griddles, it was determined that the perforations were actually non-stick technology. When covered in a couple of cups of oil, the textured griddle made a delicious flatbread.
So next time you fire up your grill, don't forget to thank the ancient Myceneans for their contribution to our present day cook-outs and tail-gate parties.
Don't forget to post your completions here and in your team thread.
GRILL IT UP - GREEK STYLE!
TEAM Σisters of the Traveling Pans Score=15
1. K-9 Owned -http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-pork-chops-23991
2. Annacia -http://www.food.com/recipe/grecian-skillet-rib-eyes-427985
3. MamiJ - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/sandwiches/grilled-flank-steak-gyros.html
4. Cookgirl - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-style-grilled-stuffed-chicken-23979
5. LifeIsGood - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greeker-than-greek-grilled-greek-chicken-19478
TEAM H π Score=15
1. Linky - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/burgers/greek-burgers-2.html?p=258
2. Momaphet - https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/lamb-steaks-with-thyme/#comment-2090
3. Lavender Lynn - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-pork-chops-23991
4. artandkitchen - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-chicken/chicken-souvlaki-kebabs.html?p=1
5. Mia in Germany - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-chicken/chicken-souvlaki-kebabs.html?p=1
TEAM π P Maniacs Score=15
1. Bayhill - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-chicken/chicken-souvlaki-kebabs.html
2. JostLori - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-style-lamb-kebabs-23251
3. ForeverMama - http://www.food.com/recipe/gyro-steaks-503659
4. JackieOhNo! - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greeker-than-greek-grilled-greek-chicken-19478
5. Diner524 - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/other-main-course/greek-souvlakia.html?p=338
Quest Guides .....Score=
1. Nancy's Pantry - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greeker-than-greek-grilled-greek-chicken-19478 by ForeverMama
2. Baby Kato - http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/greek-pork-chops-23991
3. lazyme - http://www.food.com/recipe/broiled-or-barbecued-chicken-with-lemon-427687
Last Edited By: Nancys Pantry Aug 26 16 7:09 PM. Edited 33 times