#21 [url]

Aug 17 16 5:39 AM

image .. For the Sisters,

I'm posting my completion of the MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING FEAST CHALLENGE. I picked Michael Constantine to be my Cast Member & Honored Guest for a Greek dinner party hosted by Siggi and me. Siggi's family will be our guests & I also invited 1 of the Sisters for reasons I'll explain as I continue this report.

I took a brief look at some of the biographical info on Michael Constantine early on & was immediately on "Menu Alert" when I read that he is of Greek descent. In my mind, that made the MENU more important than usual & I needed to take care selecting authentic recipes for it. I'm an admitted compulsive planner. I like being organized & planning ahead, so here's what I put together. It features just a few of my favorite chefs because there just are not enough dinner courses to feature all of them or even all the Sisters. This is also a partial "mini agenda" of my CQ#3 Rd 3 Greece cooking goals (I also try to multitask).

Starter Course: Nancy's Pantry & Mikekey will be 1st to "virtually visit my kitchen" w/their combo appy recipes. Both were made for this Challenge & the pic you see was specifically taken for this Challenge. Other pics more recipe-specific were posted to their recipes.
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/other-appetizer/marinated-greek-olives.html?p=14 by Mikekey
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/flatbread/greek-flatbread.html?p=284 by Nancy's Pantry

Salad Course: Leggy Peggy is featured next w/her salad recipe I also made for Extra Cooking & I admit adding the capers.
https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/cucumber-feta-salad-with-red-onions-and-mint/ by Leggy Peggy

Entree: Now it's Stacy's turn to shine w/her recipe for the Entree & we all know how Stacy loves to sparkle. A love of all things lamb is a culinary affection shared by both Icelanders & Greeks, so this should be a welcome entree. http://www.food.com/recipe/greek-lamb-pilaf-with-cinnamon-170645 by Stacy G

Veggie Side-Dish: Poor Mike. He will be the "workhorse" of my Menu & do double-duty in the kitchen because I needed a good veggie side-dish to serve w/the lamb & rice.  http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/greek-cauliflower.html?p=10 by Mikekey 

The Dessert Finale: I'm working my way through the menu & making each recipe so I can do taste tests & take pics before the event - With 1 exception. I don't do phyllo dough, so LifeIsGood (aka "Special K") was invited to help me make her recipe for the Greek classic, Baklava .. 
Baklava Squares with Ice Cream by LifeIsGood. To reward her, I also invited Mr Hubba Hubba with a Smile to join us & bring Tucker (a long story I'm sure she'll be glad to tell you). 

So much attention had been directed at Menu planning that I had to remind myself that the real reason we were here & doing this was to honor our guest, 
Michael Constantine. I picked him because he's ageless like most of us aspire to be. At nearly 90 yrs of age, he's still actively pursuing his chosen craft & has been amazingly prolific at it. He is the son of Greek immigrants & was born in America on 5-22-27. He began his acting career on the stage as an understudy to Paul Muni in Inherit the Wind in the mid 1950's, but his stage career sadly ended abruptly in 1963 after 2 straight 1-week flops.

He made his motion picture debut in The Last Mile in 1959, but it was the call of the television medium that built his reputation as an actor. He made numerous guest appearances on TV series, where his ethnic look made him valuable in heavies roles on such programs as The Untouchables in 1959. In film, he appeard in Robert Rossen's classic The Hustler (1961), If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969) & the film version of Woody Allen's play Don't Drink the Water (1969). The latter 2 films revealed his flair for comedy. His brightest moment on the small screen was the successful run of the TV series Room 222, an American comedy-drama that aired on ABC for nearly 5 years & earned Emmy Awards in 3 categories: Outstanding New Series, Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series (Michael Constantine) and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Karen Valentine). He was later recognized again by the Emmysas well as the Golden Globes the following year.

In the Spring of 2017, this accomplished actor will be 90 years old. As I write about him for this Challenge ...
... His acting career has spanned 61 years
... He has had greater than 50 TV roles (some of them recurring)
... He has had a co-starring role in a successful TV series for 5 years
... He has received an Emmy Award for being "Outstanding" in his craft
... He has had multiple stage & mini-series roles
... He has had 32 film roles, the last 2 being 
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (2016). In both of the MBFGW movies, Michael Constantine's character (Kostas "Gus" Portokalos) played a dual role - The source of conflict & the source of comedy. And he played them well. He came out of retirement twice to play the role of "Gus", much to the excitement of Tom Hanks who co-produced both movies.  

Our dinner party will celebrate him, his remarkable career & the Greek food we will share. I cannot wait to "pick his brain". Think about it. This man has been a part of the last 90 years of history. He has numbered Arts & Entertainment celebrities among his close friends. He has witnessed the wonders of technology become reality in our daily lives. Because of Michael Constantine & his portrayal of Kostas "Gus" Portokalos in the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movies, we have learned that all things can be cured w/a Windex bottle & we have heard him say:
... "It is YOUR LUCKY DAY ... to be baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church!"
... "Give me a word, any word, and I show you that the root of that word is Greek."
... "You better get married soon. You're starting to look ... old!"
... "There are 2 kinds of people - Greeks, and everyone else who wish they was Greek."

image. PHOTO GALLERY . image

image... image ... image

Cheers to you, Michael Constantine!

Last Edited By: twissis Aug 18 16 3:23 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#22 [url]

Aug 17 16 9:32 PM

twissis wrote:
image .. For the Sisters,

I'm posting my completion of the MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING FEAST CHALLENGE. I picked Michael Constantine to be my Cast Member & Honored Guest for a Greek dinner party hosted by Siggi and me. Siggi's family will be our guests & I also invited 1 of the Sisters for reasons I'll explain as I continue this report.

I took a brief look at some of the biographical info on Michael Constantine early on & was immediately on "Menu Alert" when I read that he is of Greek descent. In my mind, that made the MENU more important than usual & I needed to take care selecting authentic recipes for it. I'm an admitted compulsive planner. I like being organized & planning ahead, so here's what I put together. It features just a few of my favorite chefs because there just are not enough dinner courses to feature all of them or even all the Sisters. This is also a partial "mini agenda" of my CQ#3 Rd 3 Greece cooking goals (I also try to multitask).

Starter Course: Nancy's Pantry & Mikekey will be 1st to "virtually visit my kitchen" w/their combo appy recipes. Both were made for this Challenge & the pic you see was specifically taken for this Challenge. Other pics more recipe-specific were posted to their recipes.
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/other-appetizer/marinated-greek-olives.html?p=14 by Mikekey
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/flatbread/greek-flatbread.html?p=284 by Nancy's Pantry

Salad Course: Leggy Peggy is featured next w/her salad recipe I also made for Extra Cooking & I admit adding the capers.
https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/cucumber-feta-salad-with-red-onions-and-mint/ by Leggy Peggy

Entree: Now it's Stacy's turn to shine w/her recipe for the Entree & we all know how Stacy loves to sparkle. A love of all things lamb is a culinary affection shared by both Icelanders & Greeks, so this should be a welcome entree. As I recall, it's also next in line in the cooking agenda order.
http://www.food.com/recipe/greek-lamb-pilaf-with-cinnamon-170645 by Stacy G

Veggie Side-Dish: Poor Mike. He will be the "workhorse" of my Menu & do double-duty in the kitchen because I needed a good veggie side-dish to serve w/the lamb & rice.  
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/greek-cauliflower.html?p=10 by Mikekey 

The Dessert Finale: I'm working my way through the menu & making each recipe so I can do taste tests & take pics before the event - With 1 exception. I don't do phyllo dough, so LifeIsGood (aka "Special K") was invited to help me make her recipe for the Greek classic, Baklava .. 
Baklava Squares with Ice Cream by LifeIsGood. To reward her, I also invited Mr Hubba Hubba with a Smile to join us & bring Tucker (a long story I'm sure she'll be glad to tell you). 

So much attention had been directed at Menu planning that I had to remind myself that the real reason we were here & doing this was to honor our guest, 
Michael Constantine. I picked him because he's ageless like most of us aspire to be. At nearly 90 yrs of age, he's still actively pursuing his chosen craft & has been amazingly prolific at it. He is the son of Greek immigrants & was born in America on 5-22-27. He began his acting career on the stage as an understudy to Paul Muni in Inherit the Wind in the mid 1950's, but his stage career sadly ended abruptly in 1963 after 2 straight 1-week flops.

He made his motion picture debut in The Last Mile in 1959, but it was the call of the television medium that built his reputation as an actor. He made numerous guest appearances on TV series, where his ethnic look made him valuable in heavies roles on such programs as The Untouchables in 1959. In film, he appeard in Robert Rossen's classic The Hustler (1961), If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969) & the film version of Woody Allen's play Don't Drink the Water (1969). The latter 2 films revealed his flair for comedy. His brightest moment on the small screen was the successful run of the TV series Room 222, an American comedy-drama that aired on ABC for nearly 5 years & earned Emmy Awards in 3 categories: Outstanding New Series, Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series (Michael Constantine) and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Karen Valentine). He was later recognized again by the Emmysas well as the Golden Globes the following year.

In the Spring of 2017, this accomplished actor will be 90 years old. As I write about him for this Challenge ...
... His acting career has spanned 61 years
... He has had greater than 50 TV roles (some of them recurring)
... He has had a co-starring role in a successful TV series for 5 years
... He has received an Emmy Award for being "Outstanding" in his craft
... He has had multiple stage & mini-series roles
... He has had 32 film roles, the last 2 being 
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (2016). In both of the MBFGW movies, Michael Constantine's character (Kostas "Gus" Portokalos) played a dual role - The source of conflict & the source of comedy. And he played them well. He came out of retirement twice to play the role of "Gus", much to the excitement of Tom Hanks who co-produced both movies.  

Our dinner party will celebrate him, his remarkable career & the Greek food we will share. I cannot wait to "pick his brain". Think about it. This man has been a part of the last 90 years of history. He has numbered Arts & Entertainment celebrities among his close friends. He has witnessed the wonders of technology become reality in our daily lives. Because of Michael Constantine & his portrayal of Kostas "Gus" Portokalos in the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movies, we have learned that all things can be cured w/a Windex bottle & we have heard him say:
... "It is YOUR LUCKY DAY ... to be baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church!"
... "Give me a word, any word, and I show you that the root of that word is Greek."
... "You better get married soon. You're starting to look ... old!"
... "There are 2 kinds of people - Greeks, and everyone else who wish they was Greek."

image. PHOTO GALLERY . image

image... image ... image
Cheers to you, Michael Constantine!

MP,  this is wonderfully written -- I had no idea that Michael Constantine is almost 90 years young.  You have set the bar high on this one.  I have truly enjoyed reading about Michael's amazing career history and I truly hope there will be a My Big Fat Greek Wedding #3.

Since Rita, Tom Hanks' wife, was one of the celebrities that brought it to the attention of directors and producers -- it is no wonder that Tom Hanks co-produced both movies.

Thanks for participating in this challenge.

Last Edited By: twissis Aug 18 16 3:20 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Aug 17 16 11:01 PM

Thx for your kind words, Nancy. I had so much fun doing this Challenge & it helped that I was lucky enough to pick such an interesting & accomplished Cast Member to be our guest. image

btw, I think I forgot to mention that the qualifying recipe for the Challenge should be Mike's http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/other-appetizer/marinated-greek-olives.html?p=14. It seems only fair since the poor guy had to do double-duty in my kitchen for our feast to happen. imageimage

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Aug 20 16 10:22 PM

Muffin Goddess wrote:
Hi Nancy, 
Would it be okay if I give my spot in this challenge to Lavender Lynn? My "skills" imageimage are needed elsewhere.

No problem, but I will require that she invite me to her Greek Wedding Feast.  image

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Aug 22 16 4:31 AM

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Please join the bride and groom, 
Along with their Parents. 
Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, 
Brothers, Sisters, 
All degrees of Cousins, 
Extended Family
And Friends
At their reception. 

Aphrodite’s Palace

Menu

APPETIZER:  Shortcut Spanakopita by LifeIsGood   

SALAD:  Chickpea Salad by Leggy Peggy (MERP’d by Sheepdoc)  

ENTREE:  Katopoula Me Syko (Chicken with Figs) by JostLori (MERP’d by Sheepdoc)

SIDE DISH:  Mediterranean Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole  by twissis    

DESSERT:  Greek Tahini and Honey Ice Cream by JostLori     

As is traditional, guests are encouraged to bring cakes and desserts, along with their favorite recipes to share with the new bride.

Candy-coated Jordan almonds are a timeless Mediterranean wedding favor. The bitter-sweet combination symbolizes the hope that the difficult moments of the couple’s life will be balanced out with happiness. Tulle bags are filled with an odd number of candies to signify an unbreakable bond.

There will be dancing: The bride leads a raucous dance known as the kalamatiano, where the entire bridal party joins hands and skips in a circle. The lead dancer usually holds the second dancer by a handkerchief, this allowing him or her to perform more elaborate steps and acrobatics. [color=#000000]Guests also love the acrobatic tsamiko, where skilled dancers leap into the air, and the rowdy zebekiko, where dancers sequentially take shots of ouzo (a very potent Greek liquor) off of the floor.[/color]

At the end of the reception, the groom will cut up his tie. According to tradition, the couple sells the pieces to guests and stashes the profits in their honeymoon piggy bank! 

Special guest will be Andrea Martin, who played Aunt Voula in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the sequel:

Her most famous quote from the movie was “What do you mean he don’t eat no meat? That’s ok, I’ll make lamb.” " target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

I chose the character of Aunt Voula because she is a strong woman and a good role model for Toula, encouraging her to get an education and a better job. She runs the family businesses and organizes everyones’ lives.

I’d like to spend time with Andrea Martin because she has a good sense of humor and knows a lot of interesting comedians.

In 1972, she played the character of Robin in a Toronto production of Godspell, with a company that included future stars Gilda RadnerMartin ShortEugene LevyVictor Garber, and musical director Paul Shaffer.In 1976, she joined then-unknowns John CandyDave ThomasEugene LevyCatherine O'HaraHarold Ramis and Joe Flaherty on the Canadian sketch comedy television seriesSCTV, which was set at fictional television station "Second City Television", or SCTV,  Her 1970s stage work eventually included the Toronto branch of the improvisational comedy troupe The Second City, a group which produced almost the entire cast of SCTV.

Martin has played Wanda the Word Fairy in numerous short segments on Sesame Street.        image

She played IshkaQuark's mother on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.      

She has done considerable voice work in such animated film and television productions such as AnastasiaThe Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy GeniusThe Grim Adventures of Billy and MandyRugrats as Aunt Miriam, The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue as Muriel - Floyd's Wife, The Simpsons (as Apu's mother), Recess as Lunchlady Harriet, the 1999 version of The Woody Woodpecker ShowEarthworm JimKim PossibleThe Buzz On Maggie, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Brother Bear 2

She is currently in Hulu's original series, Difficult People, starring Billy Eichner and Julie Klausner and produced by Amy Poehler. She also tours in her one-woman show, "Andrea Martin: Final Days, Everything Must Go!"   

Personally, she was once Martin Short’s sister-in-law and has 2 sons.     

Sheepdoc

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Aug 22 16 4:55 AM

Awesome job!  I love the history about the Greek wedding and the significance of the dance, the wedding favors and the groom's tie.  I'll have to share the Jordan almond story with my DH -- they are his favorite candy.

I have to say that Aunt Voula is one of my favorite characters in the movie -- she is just too funny.  I am blown away with all of the celebrities that she has performed with and the number of parts she has played; especially, the voice work in all of those animated films.

Thank you sooo much for such an interesting write up.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Aug 23 16 10:04 AM

My Big Fat Greek Wedding Feast

Menu

Appetizer:  Three Cheese Phyllo Triangles with Onions and Yogurt by Lavender Lynn

Salad: Orzo Shrimp Salad by Susie D
Photo by Bergy

Bread: Greek Olive Bread  by Diner524

Main dish:  Souvlaki   by Lavender Lynn
Photo by PanNan

Main dish: Trout With Bacon and Vinegar Sauce by Mikekey

Vegetable: Honey Almond Green Beans   by Lavender Lynn
Photo by Jubes

Dessert: Walnut Cake (Karithopeta)  by Mikekey
Photo by Lavender Lynn

I made this Walnut Cake (Karithopeta) for this challenge. I really wanted to make the trout recipe but I couldn't find trout in any store around us.

Lainie Kazan was my favorite actress in My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.   I did not see #1.   Lainie did a very good job of playing Maria.  I loved the way Maria made Gus actually admit how he felt and ask her to marry him.   I could really relate to her viewpoint and totally understand and agree with her responses. 

Here is a couple of my favorite lines:

Maria: I love him. You’re father maybe crazy, but at least I’m not blood relatives of his—you are!!!

Maria: Say something nice. 

Gus: I missed you. 
Maria: Close enough.

Lainie Kazan is the embodiment of the word entertainer -- an artist who has reached the pinnacle in virtually every area of performance.  Ms. Kazan began her career in the Broadway musical “Funny Girl,” where she played a Ziegfeld showgirl and understudied the leading lady, Barbra Streisand. She finally got her chance to go on in the title role a year and a half after its Broadway opening. Lainie performed the lead role twice in one day, and received accolades that would start what would be an extraordinary career.

Lainie has also appeared on Broadway stage in “
The Government Inspector” with Tony Randall, “My Favorite Year” with Tim Curry (Tony Award nomination), and produced and starred in the Ethel Merman tribute, “Doin’ What Comes Natur’lly

Her film credits include: “
My Favorite Year” (Golden Globe Nomination), Coppola’s “One From The Heart,” Spielberg’s “Harry and the Hendersons,” Paul Bartel’s “Lust in the Dust,” “Delta Force,” “Beaches,” “The Cemetery Club,” “The Big Hit,” “The Associate,” “The Crew,” “What’s Cooking?,” “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” “Bratz,” Adam Sandler’s “You Don’t Mess with the Zohan” and “Pixels”.

Lainie’s television credits include: “
St. Elsewhere” (Emmy Nomination), “The Paper Chase” (CableACE Award Nomination), “The Nanny,” “Strong Medicine,” “Veronica’s Closet,” “Touched by an Angel,” “Will & Grace,” “My Big Fat Greek Life,” “Boston Legal,” multiple episodes of “‘Til Death” as Joely Fisher’s mother and “Ugly Betty,” a guest starring, multi-episodic arc on “Desperate Housewives,” and most recently “Modern Family” and “Grey’s Anatomy”.

Lainie has performed in Nightclubs, Grand Hotels, and Concert Halls around the world. She partnered with Hugh Hefner and opened “Lainie’s Room” and “Lainie’s Room East” at the Los Angeles and New York Playboy Clubs. Lainie recorded five albums for MGM and she produced her most recent CD’s with David Benoit for Music Masters label “In The Groove” and “Body and Soul”. 

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Aug 24 16 3:03 AM

Hi Lynn,

You did a superb job.  First, I must say that dessert looks wonderful.

I purposely did not research all of the actors/actresses (except one) because I wanted to be surprised.  What an amazing career -- starting with the lead role in "Funny Girl" and acting with Barbra.  The surprises keep coming with Tony Randall and an awesome line of movie and television roles.  I love all of these characters, but I really like the role of Maria -- she knows just how to get Gus to do what she wants. : )

Thanks so much for participating in this challenge -- hope you had as much fun writing it as I did reading it. : )

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Aug 24 16 7:36 AM

Hello, here is an entry for Team Pi Rho Maniacs.

Let's feast!
Appetizer: Greek Polpetes (Potato Cakes) 
Salad or Soup: Chopped Greek Salad With Pita Chips 
Entree: Greek Souvlakia
Vegetable or Side Dish: Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables 
Dessert: Golden Greek Baklava

In addition to my fellow Phi Rhos, my honored guest for the feast is Toula Portokalos, portrayed by Nia Vardalos. It is Toula's wedding that serves as the "Big Fat Greek Wedding" in the first film. Over the course of the movie, Toula discovers ways to create room for herself within the family and cultural expectations she experiences, particularly from her very traditional father. With help from her mother and her aunts, some strategic and some just well-meaning, she is able to convince her father to see the value in her taking courses at a local college, getting a new job with her aunt's travel agency instead of the family restaurant, and, eventually, valuing her future, non-Greek, husband.

Nia Vardalos wrote and starred in the one-woman play upon which the film is based. The film was a sleeper hit and left fans clamoring for a sequel, which finally arrived in the form of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 this year. Nia explained that the delay was because she knew a sequel would involve Toula's daughter Paris, who was featured briefly at the end of the first. Nia preferred to write what she knows, as the saying goes, and she had not yet had the experience of being a mother until she and her husband, Ian Gomez, adopted daughter Ilaria in 2008, and they spent time as a family. In the film, when Toula's husband-to-be, Ian Miller, converts to Greek Orthodoxy, this was based on something that happened in real life, when Ian Gomez did the same. While My Big Fat Greek Wedding 1 & 2 are probably Nia's best known work, she has also starred in films like Connie & Carla and My Life in Ruins, as well as directed films like I Hate Valentine's Day.

I chose Toula because I think she is an honest and inspiring character. Her attitude about family comes across as very honest, but also sweet, leading to this great quote of hers: "My family is big and loud, but they're my family. We fight, and we laugh, and, yes, we roast lamb on a spit in the front yard. And whereever I go, whatever I do, they will always be there. "

And I prepared, enjoyed, and posted my review for my appetizer selection, Greek Polpetes (Potato Cakes)

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Aug 24 16 9:32 PM

starrynews wrote:
Hello, here is an entry for Team Pi Rho Maniacs.

Let's feast!
Appetizer: Greek Polpetes (Potato Cakes) 
Salad or Soup: Chopped Greek Salad With Pita Chips 
Entree: Greek Souvlakia
Vegetable or Side Dish: Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables 
Dessert: Golden Greek Baklava

In addition to my fellow Phi Rhos, my honored guest for the feast is Toula Portokalos, portrayed by Nia Vardalos. It is Toula's wedding that serves as the "Big Fat Greek Wedding" in the first film. Over the course of the movie, Toula discovers ways to create room for herself within the family and cultural expectations she experiences, particularly from her very traditional father. With help from her mother and her aunts, some strategic and some just well-meaning, she is able to convince her father to see the value in her taking courses at a local college, getting a new job with her aunt's travel agency instead of the family restaurant, and, eventually, valuing her future, non-Greek, husband.

Nia Vardalos wrote and starred in the one-woman play upon which the film is based. The film was a sleeper hit and left fans clamoring for a sequel, which finally arrived in the form of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 this year. Nia explained that the delay was because she knew a sequel would involve Toula's daughter Paris, who was featured briefly at the end of the first. Nia preferred to write what she knows, as the saying goes, and she had not yet had the experience of being a mother until she and her husband, Ian Gomez, adopted daughter Ilaria in 2008, and they spent time as a family. In the film, when Toula's husband-to-be, Ian Miller, converts to Greek Orthodoxy, this was based on something that happened in real life, when Ian Gomez did the same. While My Big Fat Greek Wedding 1 & 2 are probably Nia's best known work, she has also starred in films like Connie & Carla and My Life in Ruins, as well as directed films like I Hate Valentine's Day.

I chose Toula because I think she is an honest and inspiring character. Her attitude about family comes across as very honest, but also sweet, leading to this great quote of hers: "My family is big and loud, but they're my family. We fight, and we laugh, and, yes, we roast lamb on a spit in the front yard. And whereever I go, whatever I do, they will always be there. "

And I prepared, enjoyed, and posted my review for my appetizer selection, Greek Polpetes (Potato Cakes)

Thanks Starry.  Who would have thought that a one-woman play could turn into the most popular comedy.  Sounds like the second movie is just as good.  Loved the character Toula too.

Thank you for participating and giving us some interesting history about the movies.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Aug 25 16 9:33 AM

My Big Fat Greek Wedding Feast
So my 35 year old son finally decided to take the plunge and get married, but to a Greek woman!  Doesn't realize that we are Italian?  Oh well.  So since this was going to be a big Greek wedding, we decided to invite my son's favorite character from the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  And Surprise!  Surprise! He decided to come!  Now, like I mentioned, my son is 35.  He is also 6' 5" and not afraid to admit he loves the boy band, *NSYNC.  This is Peter:

So, we invited Joey Fatone, who played Angelo.  In the movie he plays the comical cousin who comes out as gay in the sequel.  That is a really, really short bio, but I haven't seen the second movie - don't you dare tell him!  We also invited him because he can actually dance.  I did see him on Dancing with the Stars, did you?  

One of my favorite scenes from the movie included this quote:

Nick Portokalos:  Listen, you know. I really think you should say, "Eho tria orchidea." It means, everyone, let's come in the house. I think everybody will really like it. 

Ian Miller:  [mispronouncing] Eho tria orchidea? 

Nick Portokalos: Yeah! That's good! Very good! You got it! 

Ian Miller:  I'm not falling for that again, Nick. 

Nick Portokalos:  What? 

Ian Miller:  Yeah, what. Angelo? How do you say, "Everyone, let's go into the house?"

Angelo:  Eho tria orchidea! 

Nick Portokalos:  Hum? 

Ian Miller:  Everyone!  Eho tria orchidea! [in Greek: "I have three testicles!"]  [Everybody laughs.]

Joey Fatone was born Joseph Anthony Fatone, Jr. on January 28, 1977 in Brooklyn, NY.  His father was also an actor.  I didn't realize that Joey also acted on Broadway:
  • Rent – Mark Cohen (2002)
  • Little Shop of Horrors – Seymour Krelborn (2004)
  • The Producers – Franz Liebkind (2010)
  • 42nd Street – Bert Barry (2013)
  • Rock of Ages -The Palazzo, Las Vegas (2015)

He has also done other films:
  • Longshot (2000)
  • On The Line (2001)
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)
  • Impractical Jokers [Season 3 episode 4] (2002)
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (2016)
  • Dead 7 (2016)
  • Izzie's Way Home (2016)

Here is the menu:

And the links and translation:

Appetizer
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/other-appetizer/eggs-stuffed-with-capers-and-feta.html

Soup
http://www.food.com/recipe/cream-of-artichoke-soup-282990

Side

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/greek-cauliflower.html

Entree
http://www.food.com/recipe/grecian-pork-tenderloin-307722

Dessert
http://www.food.com/recipe/greek-lemon-ice-cream-427686

And the photos (stolen from the recipes, thank you players:

Did anyone catch the theme?  My future daughter-in-law wanted a big, fat white wedding, well, I gave her a big, fat, white menu!  Did you figure out which recipe I made?  It was the cauliflower.  I also made the pork, but not for this challenge.  And one more thing.  Doesn't the ice cream look like a bunny?

Last Edited By: threeovens Aug 25 16 10:08 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Aug 25 16 8:15 PM

Hi Lucy,

Great job on this challenge.  Joey Fattone is so funny in movie 1 and I can't wait to see movie 2.   Peter is very handsome and very tall - 6' 5" - wow!  No problem with NSYNC here either. : )

I love the quote from the movie -- it is one of the really funny ones.  I'm quite sure that Nia's non-Greek husband got the same treatment from family as well since she based her movies on her actual Greek family and courtship/wedding.

The menu looks wonderful - OPA!    That ice cream really does look like a bunny. : )

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Aug 26 16 1:42 AM

Sisters of the Traveling Pans
Lauralie51

Our "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" story begins with Toula Portokalos who is now 30 years old working in her families diner, Dancing Zorba's, and still unmarried. She calls herself frump girl and is afraid her life will never change and she will be stuck forever in the diner. One day Toula picks up a brochure of computer classes available at the community college and gets up enough nerve to speak to her father about going downtown and signing up. Her father on the other hand, being very proud to be Greek, only wants her to marry a nice Greek boy and have many babies so college is out of the question.

Now enters Maria, Toula's mom, who has heard the whole conversation and seeing how upset her daughter is goes over to console her. One of my favorite quotes from Maria is " a man may be the head of the house, but a woman is the neck and she can turn the head any way she wants."  That night Maria tells Gus that he needs to let Toula go to school because she is smart and wants more out of her life. Another quote that I enjoyed is when Maria tells Gus " What? What you mean? I run the restaurant, I cook, I clean, I wash for you *and* I raise three kids *and* I teach Sunday school, you know? It's lucky for me I have you to tie my shoes!"

imageimage

When Aunt Voula is called in to help Maria and Toula carry out their plan of action many twists and turns take place before the long awaited wedding of Toula. A very enjoyable movie that will have you laughing and even thinking your might want a big Greek family of your own!

For the rehearsal dinner I prepared the entree.....http://www.food.com/recipe/broiled-or-barbecued-chicken-with-lemon-427687 by PanNan

Here is the full menu.......

APPETIZER

http://www.food.com/recipe/tiropetakia-spinach-and-feta-filled-phyllo-triangles-426983?soc=socialsharingpinterest by LifeIsGood
photo courtesy of epagoza 7427429

SALAD
https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2016/08/11/slow-roasted-tomatoes-on-toasted-sourdough-with-goats-cheese/ by Leggy Peggy
photo courtesy of Leggy Peggy

ENTREE
http://www.food.com/recipe/broiled-or-barbecued-chicken-with-lemon-427687?photo=385938 by PanNan
photo courtesy of LifeIsGood

SIDE DISH
http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-greek-style-zucchini-307575 by Lavender Lynn
photo courtesy of JackieOhNo!

DESSERT
http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-peaches-with-greek-yogurt-527687 by momaphet
photo courtesy of K9-Owned

Lainie Kazan was born Lainie Levine in Brooklyn, New York to Carole (Kazan) and Ben Levine.

She graduated from Hofstra University, in Hempstead, New York.

Her film career began in 
Dayton's Devils (1968) starring alongside Leslie Nielsen. Later, Lainie was nominated a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Motion Picture for her performance in My Favorite Year (1982). Over the years, she made appearances as boisterous mother types. Notably in Beaches (1988), 29th Street (1991), and My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002).

Understudied 
Barbra Streisand in the original Broadway production of the musical "Funny Girl".

Hit #123 on the Billboard 'Bubbling Under' singles chart in 1967 with "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye"

Was named as "Queen of Brooklyn" at the Welcome Back to Brooklyn Festival in 1997.

Was the visual inspiration for the comic book character Big Barda.

Appeared in the October 1970 issue of Playboy magazine.

She studied drama at HB Studio in Greenwich Village, New York City.

Profiled in the book, "Funny Ladies", by Stephen M. Silverman. [1999]

Formed a business partnership with Hugh Hefner, who created performance venues Kazan East and West to help nurture the singing aspect of her career.

Be sure to follow Maria and her family on to the next phase of their lives in My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2!

Last Edited By: Lauralie51 Aug 26 16 1:53 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Aug 26 16 3:03 AM

Hi Lori,

You did a wonderful job on your wedding feast.  I love Lainie too -- she just reminds us of Mom and she has so much wisdom in those zingers.  Your entree sounds wonderful as well.

I'll have to order "Funny Ladies" -- what an honor to be included.   Hope you enjoyed this challenge. : )

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help