Lead

Aug 6 16 2:32 AM

Tags : :

Welcome to the Culinary Quest!  Players are traveling the world one bite at a time.

Start Date:  August 12th
End Date:   August 25th

Player Limit: 2 per team
Challenge Type: Individual, cooking
Points: 8 points per player for a possible total of 16 points per team

image

Opa!  There is now a "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" movie.  You knew there had to be a sequel to the hilarious and heart-felt story of Toula Portokalos, a Greek-American woman who falls in love with a non-Greek man.  Although the movie was a sleeper hit, the film became the highest-grossing romantic comedy of all time. 

Whether or not you have seen both of these movies, no doubt you have a favorite character or two.  Maybe it's Gus, the Father, who never fails to teach everyone that the "Portokalos" name comes from the root word "portokali", which means orange or maybe it's the quirky Aunt Voula, who chastises Toula's fiancee with her famous words, "What do you mean, he don't eat no meat? Oh, that's okay, I make lamb".

The movie itself began as a one-woman play, written by and starring Nia Vardalos performed for six-weeks at the Hudson Backstage Theater in Los Angeles in the summer of 1997.  The play was based on Vardalos' own family in Winnipeg and on her own experience marrying a non-Greek man (actor Ian Gomez).  The play was popular and was sold out for most of its run.  A number of Hollywood executives and celebrities saw this play.  As a result of the play's popularity, Nia Vardalos began meeting with Hollywood executives about making a screen version of the play and as they say, "The rest is history".

CHALLENGE:

For this challenge, you will need to ~~

~Plan a menu for a dinner party "feast" for your friends and your favorite cast member of the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" movie 1 or 2.  Your menu should include recipes from the approved recipe list for Greece and should include an appetizer, salad or soup, entree, vegetable or side dish, and a dessert (beverages are excluded). Please post your menu here along with all other completed components of this challenge.

~Prepare at least one recipe (beverages excluded) from your planned menu, post a review to the recipe, provide the recipe link and a photo, if desired (photo not required).

~Tell us the name of your favorite movie character (movie 1 or 2) and tell us why you chose this character.  Write up a short bio on your character and provide at least one of their famous quotes from the movie.  Feel free to provide photos of your character.

~Be sure to post all completed components of this challenge here and also post your completion in your team thread.

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING FEAST!

TEAM Σisters of the Traveling Pans      Score=16           image  
1.  Twissis - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/other-appetizer/marinated-greek-olives.html?p=14  image
2.  Lauralie51 - http://www.food.com/recipe/broiled-or-barbecued-chicken-with-lemon-427687 by PanNan  image

TEAM H π          Score=16        image 
1.  Sheepdoc -https://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/chickpea-salad/   image
2.  Lavender Lynn -  Walnut Cake (Karithopeta)  image

TEAM  π P Maniacs          Score=16       image    
1.  threeovens - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/greek-cauliflower.html  image
2.  starrynews - Greek Polpetes (Potato Cakes)  image

Quest Guides   .............Score=  image 

Last Edited By: Nancys Pantry Aug 26 16 7:11 PM. Edited 16 times

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 12 16 9:37 PM

Nancy - Do we need to pick our cast member now .. or .. are duplicates allowed if we wait?

Nevermind - I re-read the Challenge twice & saw there is no need to pick our cast member right away. image

Okay, as Nancy suggested just below -- I decided to pick Michael Constantine as my invited cast member & Honored Guest. 

Last Edited By: twissis Aug 12 16 10:13 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 12 16 9:58 PM

twissis wrote:
Nancy - Do we need to pick our cast member now .. or .. are duplicates allowed if we wait?

Nevermind - I re-read the Challenge twice & saw there is no need to pick our cast member right away. image

Duplicates are allowed, but it might encourage more of a  variety in the selections if you provide your choice up front. : )

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 12 16 10:17 PM

Sisters of the Traveling Pants
Lauralie51

I will sign up for this fun challenge also! My cast member will be Lainie Kazan but not quite sure what quote I will use there are so many good ones.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 12 16 10:25 PM

Lauralie51 wrote:
Sisters of the Traveling Pants
Lauralie51

I will sign up for this fun challenge also! My cast member will be Lainie Kazan but not quite sure what quote I will use there are so many good ones.

Hi Lori,

Got you all signed up -- can't wait to read your bio. 

******This challenge is now full for the Sisters.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 12 16 10:26 PM

twissis wrote:

Okay, as Nancy suggested just below -- I decided to pick Michael Constantine as my invited cast member & Honored Guest. 

Woo Hoo!  another great celebrity choice.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 13 16 8:42 PM

Please sign me up, but first a funny story.

One year, at that other place, a team member signed up for a challenge that included a tapas party.  Well, he misunderstood and actually had all his friends over for tapas.  He prepared six dishes and was quite exhausted!  I forget his real name, but we called him Chives.  Our team was Winers, Diners, and Chives.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 13 16 9:25 PM

threeovens wrote:
Please sign me up, but first a funny story.

One year, at that other place, a team member signed up for a challenge that included a tapas party.  Well, he misunderstood and actually had all his friends over for tapas.  He prepared six dishes and was quite exhausted!  I forget his real name, but we called him Chives.  Our team was Winers, Diners, and Chives.

Too funny!  Is it too late to change the rules now.   image      

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help