Lead

Aug 6 16 2:28 AM

Tags : :

Welcome to the Culinary Quest!  Players are traveling the world one bite at a time.

Start Date: August 12th
End Date:  August 25th

Player Limit:  4 per team (see below)
Challenge Type: Individual - Non-Cooking

Kid's coloring pages (ages 5 and under) - 3 points per player
Greek pottery activity (through age 16) - 3 points per player
2 players total - 3 points each for a possible total of 6 points

Greek Hero/god tissue roll activity (through age 16) - 5 points per player
2 players - 5 points each for a possible total of 10 points

Challenge:

Create one of the art projects listed below.

Provide a photo of the completed project -- please feel free to include a photo of your child showcasing their project if you wish. 

Include a few words from your child (you may write it for them) telling us how much they enjoyed their project.

Post your completion in both this Challenge thread and your Team thread.

GREEK MYTHOLOGY:

Created thousands of years ago, Greek myths were epic stories about Greek gods, passed down over generations.  These stories often feature heroic battles and terrible creatures and they taught the importance of bravery, intelligence, and right and wrong.  These stories demonstrated that even the gods, like mortal men, could be punished or rewarded for their actions. 

Greek myths were a huge part of the religion in Ancient Greece and they offer a glimpse into the beliefs of the people who told them.  These myths are still fascinating today.  Check out these terrifying tales below and meet people-eating, fire-breathing beasts and the heros who battled them.

Monster - The Minotaur
The Hero - Theseus
The Battle:

Half-man, half-bull, the Minotaur lurks in an underground maze waiting for his next meal.  Lost in the labyrinth, his prey will surely be devoured.  But brave king Theseus had had enough of his land living in fear of the Minotaur.  He accompanies the group and is prepared to fight.  Hearing the Minotaur breathing nearby, he springs toward it. Dodging the monster's deadly horns, he thrusts his sword into the beast.  The Minotaur is dead, but will the group find its way out?  Luckily, Theseus unspooled a piece of string as he walked through the maze, and leads everyone out to safety.

Link to Minotaur art project:  http://www.dltk-kids.com/world/greece/m-minotaur.htm

The Monster:  Medusa
The Hero:  Perseus
The Battle:

The hideous Medusa has snakes for hair, terrifying tusks, and a face that turns anyone that looks at it into stone.  To please his king, warrior Perseus agrees to slay the beast.  Wearing a helmet of invisibility, he sneaks up on Medusa.  She's asleep, but one gaze at her face and Perseus would be a statue.  So he looks at her harmless reflection in his shiny shield and beheads her.  Victorious, Perseus flies off on winged sandals.

Links to the Perseus and Medusa art projects:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/fantasy/mperseus.htm
http://www.dltk-kids.com/fantasy/mmedusa.htm

The Hero:  Athena
History:

Athena was the daughter of Zeus, who ruled the Olympians from Mount Olympus.  Athena was fierce and brave in battle; although she only took part in wars that defended the State and home from outside enemies.  She was Zeus' favorite child and was allowed to use his weapons, including his thunderbolt. 

Link to Athena art project:  http://www.dltk-kids.com/fantasy/mathena.htm

In addition to the heros and monsters listed above, you may choose from these 3 additional tissue-roll art projects.  See links below:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/fantasy/mcyclops.htm
http://www.dltk-kids.com/world/greece/m-trojan.htm
http://www.dltk-kids.com/fantasy/mzeus.htm

Link to Greek pottery and coloring pages:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/world/greece/m-pottery.htm
http://www.coloring.ws/greek5.htm (for children 5 years of age and under)

_________________________________________________________________________________

MYTHICAL GREEK KIDS CHALLENGE

TEAM  Σisters of the Traveling Pans       Score=16           image  

Kid's Coloring Page/Greek Pottery
1.  MamiJ  image
2.  Lauralie  image

Greek god/hero project
1.  MamiJ  image
2.  MamiJ  image

TEAM H π           Score=13        image 

1. Linky  image

Greek god/hero project
1.  Linky  image
2.  Momaphet  image

TEAM π P Maniacs        Score=15       image 

1.  JostLori  image

Greek god/hero project
1.  PanNan  image
2.  Bayhill  image

Quest Guides   .............Score=   image 

Greek god/hero project

Last Edited By: Nancys Pantry Aug 27 16 12:04 AM. Edited 20 times

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Aug 12 16 10:13 PM

I'm volunteering my DGD to do the toilet paper roll Greek project! We're planning a trip to a local museum and the JellyBelly factory on Monday so we'll have some together time to do this! Yay!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 12 16 10:48 PM

Linky wrote:
I'm volunteering my DGD to do the toilet paper roll Greek project! We're planning a trip to a local museum and the JellyBelly factory on Monday so we'll have some together time to do this! Yay!

Hi Linky,

Can't wait to see your DGD's completed work of art. : )   image

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 13 16 2:15 AM

PanNan wrote:
For the Pi Rho Maniacs, please sign me up for the tissue roll activity.  My grandsons will have fun with this one, I'm sure.

Awesome!  Hope your grandson enjoys this project. : ) 

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 13 16 4:01 AM

JostLori wrote:

I've got my 3 year old grand-nephew right here - so let's see what his coloring skills are like!  Please sign me up!

I'm sure he'll do an amazing job!  Got ya signed up for the "coloring" pages. 

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 16 16 6:07 AM

My daughter chose to make a plate but could not decide on an image. After much research on mythical creatures, she chose Pegasus She is absolutely obsessed with My Little Pony and she wanted to do an image of RainbowDash! Of course then I told her that she had to do a Pegasus the way the Ancient Greeks imagined and she finally chose this one:

Next to her is our dog Lila. When I asked her what she liked the most about doing this project, she said that she loved learning about all the story where Zeus sends Pegasus up to the sky where he turns into a constellation, and also getting to use gold paint imageimage

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 16 16 6:19 AM

MamiJ wrote:
My daughter chose to make a plate but could not decide on an image. After much research on mythical creatures, she chose Pegasus She is absolutely obsessed with My Little Pony and she wanted to do an image of RainbowDash! Of course then I told her that she had to do a Pegasus the way the Ancient Greeks imagined and she finally chose this one:

Next to her is our dog Lila. When I asked her what she liked the most about doing this project, she said that she loved learning about all the story where Zeus sends Pegasus up to the sky where he turns into a constellation, and also getting to use gold paint imageimage

Awesome Job!  image

Your daughter did a wonderful job with Pegasus, the winged horse.   I love that story too and btw, Lila is one beautiful puppy.

Please thank your daughter for such a wonderful job!!!!! image

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 16 16 7:03 AM

DGD Violet is a fan of Greek myths - in fact, her middle name is Persephone who in the Greek myth spent half the year in the underworld (winter) and when she returned, that's when we get spring. Anyway, she thought it was interesting that in the story of the Trojan Horse, there was a goddess of conflict (Eras) who was not invited to a gathering and caused trouble b/c she was angry. Just like in Sleeping Beauty/Maleficent there was a witch who wasn't invited to the gathering and she caused trouble b/c she was angry. Violet also enjoyed coloring the horses and putting the whole thing together. She colored on a wooden table and the pattern of the wood kind of came through when she colored the wooden horse, so it looked a little more realistic than if she had used marker. Even though this project didn't use a toilet paper tube, it was one of the choices for the toilet paper Greek Kids' Challenge.image

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Aug 16 16 8:51 AM

Linky wrote:
DGD Violet is a fan of Greek myths - in fact, her middle name is Persephone who in the Greek myth spent half the year in the underworld (winter) and when she returned, that's when we get spring. Anyway, she thought it was interesting that in the story of the Trojan Horse, there was a goddess of conflict (Eras) who was not invited to a gathering and caused trouble b/c she was angry. Just like in Sleeping Beauty/Maleficent there was a witch who wasn't invited to the gathering and she caused trouble b/c she was angry. Violet also enjoyed coloring the horses and putting the whole thing together. She colored on a wooden table and the pattern of the wood kind of came through when she colored the wooden horse, so it looked a little more realistic than if she had used marker. Even though this project didn't use a toilet paper tube, it was one of the choices for the toilet paper Greek Kids' Challenge.image

Fantastic Job, Violet!!!  image

I love that you chose the trojan horse -- it has quite an interesting story behind it.  Thank you so much for participating in our challenge.  image

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 20 16 4:21 AM

Sisters of the Traveling Pans
Lauralie51

I will sign up for the under 5 group.

My 4 year old granddaughter Brielle colored a picture of Medusa. She said she was very happy to be helping us and that she had to make those snakes green.  Used my camera to take a pic to post and it was clearer and had a lot more color but I totally messed it up. 

Last Edited By: Lauralie51 Aug 20 16 1:13 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 20 16 11:11 PM

Lauralie51 wrote:

Sisters of the Traveling Pans
Lauralie51

I will sign up for the under 5 group.

My 4 year old granddaughter Brielle colored a picture of Medusa. She said she was very happy to be helping us and that she had to make those snakes green.  Used my camera to take a pic to post and it was clearer and had a lot more color but I totally messed it up. 

Brielle did an awesome job and she really made Medusa look pretty stylish even if she is wearing green snakes. YIKES!

Great Job Brielle!!  image

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 21 16 12:39 PM

Because we appear to have a lack of children, you have kindly allowed some of us to double-dip and do a second project. Because I have no access to paint, 8 yr. old Violet was allowed to do a coloring sheet. We chose one that was not on the official list, but you will see why:

My DGD - Violet's middle name is Persephone, so that is the Greek mythical goddess that she colored. In the picture, Persephone is holding a pomegranate. Vi explained to me that she ate some seeds of the pomegranate while she was in the underworld and so she would have to spend part of the year back in the underworld. That's when we have winter.

She is always happy to help out "Oma and her cooking buddies".  image

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 21 16 6:38 PM

Linky wrote:
Because we appear to have a lack of children, you have kindly allowed some of us to double-dip and do a second project. Because I have no access to paint, 8 yr. old Violet was allowed to do a coloring sheet. We chose one that was not on the official list, but you will see why:

My DGD - Violet's middle name is Persephone, so that is the Greek mythical goddess that she colored. In the picture, Persephone is holding a pomegranate. Vi explained to me that she ate some seeds of the pomegranate while she was in the underworld and so she would have to spend part of the year back in the underworld. That's when we have winter.

She is always happy to help out "Oma and her cooking buddies".  image

Hi Linky,

I think we have an budding artist in our midst.  Beautifully done!   I learned that Persephone was also called "Kore" which means "Maiden" and that she was a very lovely girl.  Violet is a very lovely girl as well  : )

Awesome Job, Violet!!!  image 

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 21 16 8:39 PM

Thanks, Nancy! Violet does love art and science, too. I can't believe she'll be starting 3rd grade next week. I didn't know that about Kore, either. You can always learn something new! 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help