Lead

Aug 5 16 9:14 AM

Tags : :

Traveling the world one bite at a time! 

Scandals are disgraceful events or nasty gossip about people's private lives. Today magazines, social media, and TV use scandals to make millions, but history shows headlines and exposure has always been the case.  Many people made a career of Hollywood gossip and lurid journalism.  This challenge is meant to be a lighthearted look at the past.  

DATES: Aug 12- Aug 25
All New York City challenges must be completed by 11:59pm Central on August 25.

DETAILS:
STYLE OF PLAY:   Individual Non-Cooking Challenge~ Quiz
POINTS:   1 point per correct answers = 5 possible points per player
LIMIT:  up to 3 players per team may participate  

To complete this challenge: 
~Each team member will take a different quiz: Scandals, Tramps, OR Thieves. 
~Post your selection of quiz here. First come. first serve.
~Each quiz has 5 questions. (1-5) Some questions have multiple compontents.  All compontents of the question must be correct to earn the point. 
~Answer the questions and send your answers to Susie D via fun-mail.  My mailbox is here: 
http://susie-d.u.yuku.com/
  Note: Only one fun-mail per player. Corrections in follow up mail will not be accepted for scoring purposes. 
   Do NOT post your answers in this thread or your team thread! 
 ~After you send your answers, return to this thread and post you sent the fun-mail to Susie.
~Please include your team banner. 

imageQuiz #1: Scandals

“The Truth Is the Only Thing with Which a Man Can Live” 
1. Quiz shows were forever changed after a 50's cheating scandal. Name the rigged game show and the Columbia faculty member involved. 

"Say it ain't so, Joe!" 
2. Eight players on the Chicago White Sox were accused of intentionally losing games in exchange for money from gamblers.   
 What final punishment did the 8 players receive?
Two players signed confessions, but later recanted them. Name those two players.  

"You guys got to stop acting like cowboys - acting wild. You're going to be with us now. If anyone is going to get killed, you have to clear it with us." 
3. Known as "The Howard Hughes of the Mob" and "Big Paulie" mobster Paul Castellano succeeded Carlo Gambino as head of the Gambino crime family in New York, the nation's largest Cosa Nostra family at the time. He was murdered as he was exiting the car at the front of a restaurant. Who ordered the hit? What was the name of the NYC restaurant?  

"Oh my God, he stabbed me! Help me!" 
4. A Queens woman was stabbed to death outside her apartment building.  The New York Times published a report that conveyed a scene of indifference from neighbors who failed to come to her aid, claiming 37 or 38 witnesses saw or heard the attack and did not call the police. 
Who was the woman and what was this phenomenon named? 

"By and by it was common gossip that hers was the great mind behind the great work and that this, the most monumental engineering triumph of the age, was actually the doing of a woman, which as a general proposition was taken in some quarters to be both preposterous and calamitous. In truth, she had by then a thorough grasp of the engineering involved."
5. This woman is credited as the first American woman engineer, one source calls her a pioneering example of independence. She spent 14 years overseeing the construction of a major project after her husband fell ill.  She continued her education and received a law degree from New York University, and became one of the first female lawyers in New York State. She studied mathematics and science, learned how to build a bridge, and in 1899, she obtained a law degree from New York University at the age of 56. Name the woman and the project. 

imageQuiz #2: Tramps 

"We played kneesies during the first two acts, my hand wasn’t in my own lap during the third. It’s been years since I’ve felt up a man in public, but I just got carried away."  
1. Mary Astor is best remembered for her role as Brigid O'Shaughnessy in The Maltese Falcon. Her illicit affair with "Public Lover Number One" was exposed during her 1936 custody battle. She claimed the snippets of her diary leaked to the tabloids were inaccurate. We’ll never know: A judge in 1952 had it burned.  Who was actress Mary's Astor's lover?  

“If there is immorality in posing in the nude, anybody who takes a bath ought to be arrested.” 
2. She’s the face of most of the famous statues from America’s Gilded Age and the first actress to appear nude in a Hollywood film—but Audrey Munson’s charmed life ended in tragedy. She spent the last 65 years of her life in a mental hospital and ended up in an unmarked grave without even a tombstone bearing her name. You probably already know her, without even knowing you know her. You may have passed her on the street many times, unbeknownst. For she was America’s first supermodel. Her face and figure continue to grace the contours of statues all around Manhattan. Name 5 statues located in NYC showing her “most perfect form.”  

“I used to be Snow White but I drifted.” "They say I’m a terrible woman, but I’m not really. I never drink or smoke.”
3. Mae West was usually aware of just how far she could carry her personal crusade to make “sex” a national necessity, she has, now and then, miscalculated. When her play Sex  opened in 1926 at Daly’s Theater in New York, a horrified gasp arose from the theater going public, but front row seats quickly became more valuable than blue-chip stocks. The police raided the show ten months later and the Queen of Curves was carted off to court and charged with “corrupting the morals of youth.” Miss West indignantly denied the charge and claimed her play was “educational.” On April 22nd, called “The Day Sex Was Jailed,” Mae West was fined and given ten days in the workhouse. She drove to ” jail in her flashy $20,000 limousine followed by throngs of cheering admirers. Her arm was limp from signing autographs. Her parting remark was “Give my regards to Broadway.”  Who wrote this "educational" play? 

"She seized a carving fork and advanced in my direction. I passed rapidly down the long narrow hall, through the tall iron gate, . . . and so to the sidewalk. I felt rather lucky to escape."
4. This Irish cook was taken by force and was held without a trial. She had not broken any laws. She stated "I am an innocent human being. I have committed no crime and I am treated like an outcast -- a criminal. It is unjust, outrageous, uncivilized. It seems incredible that in a Christian community a defenseless woman can be treated in this manner." She was twice forcibly isolated by public health authorities and died after a total of nearly three decades in isolation. Who was she and who was the researcher who linked her to deaths? 

"Life" in this "society" being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of "society" being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and eliminate the male sex."
5. Too drastic, too crazy, too "out there," too early, too late, too damaged, too much—this feminist has been dismissed but never forgotten. She has become, unwittingly, a figurehead for women's unexpressed rage, and stands at the center of many worlds. She circulated among feminists and the countercultural underground, charged men money for conversation, and outlined a vision for radical gender dystopia. Her manifesto predicted ATMs, test-tube babies, the Internet, and artificial insemination long before they existed. She garnered her 15 minutes of fame by shooting an artist and art critic.  Who is this woman and who did she shoot? 

image Quiz #3: Thieves

"I always gambled. I can't remember when I didn't. Maybe I gambled just to show my father he couldn't tell me what to do, but I don't think so. I think I gambled because I loved the excitement. When I gambled, nothing else mattered." 
1. New York’s most notorious gambler, was shot and killed during a poker game at the Park Central Hotel in Manhattan. He became a legendary figure in New York because of his unparalleled winning streak in bets and card games. However, it is believed that he usually won by fixing the events. The most famous instance of this was in 1919 when the World Series was fixed. His luck ran out in 1928 when he encountered an unprecedented losing streak. He lost a cool $320,000 and then refused to pay on the grounds that the game had been rigged. Who was he? 

"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."
2. This "Queen of Mean" was an American businesswoman. She was known for her flamboyant personality and had a reputation for tyrannical behavior. She was convicted of tax evasion and sentenced to 16 years (although she only served 19 months.) At her death she left a fortune to her dog, Trouble. Name the Queen and the amount of Trouble's jackpot.  

"Stop them damned pictures. I don't care so much what the papers say about me. My constituents don't know how to read, but they can't help seeing them damned pictures!"
3.  The legendary political boss, who led New York City's Tammany Hall Democratic machine from 1863 until 1872, was convicted of corruption and was accused, by some estimates, of stealing up to $1 billion to $4 billion from taxpayers in today's dollars.  At the height of his influence, he was the third-largest landowner in New York City, a director of the Erie Railroad, the Tenth National Bank, and the New-York Printing Company, as well as proprietor of the Metropolitan Hotel. He died in prison in 1878. Who was this crook?  

"I can't walk anywhere without someone shouting their greetings and encouragement, to keep my spirit up. It's really quite sweet, how concerned everyone is about my well being, including the staff ... It's much safer here than walking the streets of New York." 
4. This stockbroker ran his multibillion-dollar firm as a grand-scale Ponzi scheme. He was reported to federal authorities by his sons and charged with securities fraud the next day. He is currently serving a 150-year prison sentence. Who is he? What happened to his sons? 

“I just dug up your mom.”
5. They were called resurrectionists, though today we would call them grave robbers. They were medical students who, seeking cadavers to study, dug up graves, mostly of African-American slaves although they were soon digging up white graves, too. Once noticed a crowd formed, then a mob. The hospital was raided.  About 2,000 people watched as doctors and students were dragged through the streets and beaten. Magistrates persuaded the crowd to release the students, who were taken to jail for protection. The crowd then demanded the perceived leader. What was the name of the school and the "odious" teenage leader who supposedly stated the quote to a young boy? 

See you in the headlines! 

Last Edited By: Susie D Aug 10 16 6:38 AM. Edited 3 times

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Aug 10 16 6:49 AM

TEAM: Σisters of the Traveling Pans .............Score=  15 image
1. Scandals: K9 Owned image 5
2. Tramps: Mami J 
image 5
3. Thieves: twissis image 5

TEAM:   │ H π  .............Score= 15  image
1. Scandals: Muffin Goddess image 5
2. Tramps: mikekey image 5
3. Thieves: Linky image 5
TEAM:  π P Maniacs .............Score= 15  image
1. Scandals: diner524  image 5
2. Tramps: JackieOhNo! image 5
3. Thieves:  JostLori image 5

Quest Guides   .............Score=0  

1. Scandals: lazyme image 5
2. Tramps: Baby Kato image 5
3. Thieves:   

================
Legend
image fun mail sent with answers
image individual score

Last Edited By: Susie D Aug 23 16 12:01 PM. Edited 11 times.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 12 16 9:21 PM

twissis wrote:
image.. Mornin Susie image

I'll be doing this Challenge for the Sisters & would like THIEVES as my portion pls. image

The group of thieves are yours for your team! image

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 13 16 12:10 AM

Mikekey wrote:

Mikekey wrote:
I will sign up for "TRAMPS"

I have sent my answers.

i have your fun-mail. I'll score it later, but have marked you as completed the challenge. image

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help