Lead

Jul 22 16 9:21 PM

Tags : :

Welcome to the Culinary Quest! Players are traveling the world one bite at a time.

Start Date: July 29
End Date: August 11 at 11:59pm Central Time

Player Limit: 1 per team
Challenge Type: Team Non-Cooking

Ecotourism deals with living parts of our natural environments and typically involves travel to destinations where flora, fauna, and cultural heritage are the primary attractions. It is intended to offer tourists insight into the impact of human beings on the environment, and to foster a greater appreciation of our natural habitats.

When it comes to exploring nature, the Bahamas has plenty to offer. They have some of the most intriguing, exotic and mysterious natural phenomena on the planet. Here you'll find the world's deepest blue hole, the third-largest fringing barrier reef in the world, miles of pink-sand beaches, the world's largest colony of pink flamingos, the endangered Bahama Parrot, the unusual Andros iguana, a wild horse preserve and countless nature preserves. Although there are too many to mention, here's a sampling of some of them.

image         image         image

The wild horses of Abaco
One of Abaco's secret treasures are the exotic wild horses that have roamed the island for centuries. These beautiful horses, strong and sturdy with long flowing manes, are known as Abaco barbs. Once a herd of hundreds, they are now considered one of the most endangered species in the world, with only seven remaining.

The Glass Window Bridge
Located near Gregory Town in North Eleuthera the glass window bridge was originally an extraordinary natural rock arch. Due to repeated damage from hurricanes it has in recent years been replaced by a man-made bridge. It is a magical place where the deep dark Atlantic Ocean meets the shallow aquamarine Caribbean Sea at the thinnest part of the Eleuthera.

The Great Barrier Reef
Andros is home to the third largest great barrier reef in the world. It is over 120 miles long and plunges more than 6,000 feet down into the tongue of the ocean.

Bimini Road
Many researchers and scientists believe that a unique formation of rocks under the waters of Bimini may lead to the ancient lost city of Atlantis.

Pink Sand Beaches
The soft pink sand beaches of Eleuthera are another natural wonder of the Bahamas. The 3-mile beach on Harbour Island is considered to be one of the very best beaches in the Bahamas… maybe the world.

Dean's Blue Hole
The Bahamas has countless blue holes throughout the islands but Dean's Blue Hole in Long island is the deepest in the world, and one of the most intriguing.

Underwater Caves
The Lucayan National Park in Grand Bahama is where you will find the world's largest underwater cave system, with over six miles of caverns, caves and tunnels.

The Pink Flamingos
The flamingo is the national bird of the Bahamas and the Inagua National Park is home to the largest colony of flamingos in the western hemisphere.

Pig Island
You might have thought about swimming with dolphins, fish, even maybe sharks, but wild pigs?

Well, the day wild pigs swim has arrived on the Bahamian archipelago of Exuma. The island called Big Major Cay is affectionately nicknamed Pig Island because that is where the wild pigs roam free on land and water.

Iguanas
Bahamas rock iguanas are part of a group of large, 'dinosaur-like' lizards known as the West Indian rock iguanas, which are widely recognized as amongst the most endangered lizards on earth.

Sea Turtles of the Bahamas
This endangered species, if spotted, can easily become the highlight of any diving trip. Five of the seven sea turtle species can be found in the waters off Freeport on the Island of Grand Bahama.

Primeval Forest National Park
Entering this area is a step back in time. Remarkably undisturbed, this old-growth forest is representative of the early evergreen tropical hardwood forests of the Bahamas.

Abaco National Park
This park has been designated a preservation area by the Bahamas Government and is managed by The Bahamas National Trust. Included are 5,000 acres of pine forest, the nesting area and habitat of about 1000 endangered Bahama or Abaco Parrots.

image                  image

Your challenge is to work together as a team and create a photo slideshow. Your team should visit at least 6 places that you would see on an eco-tour of the Bahamas and gather your vacation 'photographs'. Then one person from your team should compile your photos into a slideshow and post them in this thread. You can use any site of your choosing to create the slideshow. (I knew nothing about slideshows, but was able to create one in photobucket in just a few minutes. image ).

Please remember to:
~ Post your slideshow in this thread (include your team name and banner) and in your team thread.
 ~Check back in this thread to verify that your team has been given points.

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Jul 22 16 9:28 PM

image TEAM: Σisters of the Traveling Pans .............Score= 15  image
1. Lauralie51

image TEAM:   │ H π  .............Score=  15 image
1. Lavender Lynn

image TEAM:  π P Maniacs .............Score= 15  image
1. diner524

image Quest Guides   .............Score=0  

1. Susie D

Last Edited By: lazyme Aug 14 16 10:02 PM. Edited 8 times.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 1 16 6:56 PM

Good morning!  I'd llike to do this challenge for my sisters.

The slide show is going to be an interesting part - I haven't a clue as to how to go about it.

CQ always teaches me something new

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:56 AM

K9 Owned wrote:
Good morning!  I'd llike to do this challenge for my sisters.

The slide show is going to be an interesting part - I haven't a clue as to how to go about it.

CQ always teaches me something new

Thanks, Lesley. I'd never done a slideshow before either. Believe me......if I can do it.......anyone can. image

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 6 16 10:16 AM

The Quest Guides decided to spend our Bahama vacation learning more about and hopefully saving sea turtles.  All varities of sea turtles are endangered, but several species are on the critical list.  The green sea turtle and the hawksbill sea turtle are in trouble. Even though the Bahamian government has made it illegal to catch them in the country’s waters, to save these endangered species from further decline, researchers need to ensure their habitats are protected from coastal development and climate change. 

We checked into our rooms at the Rainbow Lodge. This colorful B&B is an older facility, but was located close to the turtles.  The bright colors of the cabins are cheerful and the rooms are spotlessly clean.  We had the place to ourselves for the week ands were treated like royalty.  

Four mornings we traveled to the Cape Eleuthera Institute to attend classes and then have hands on time interacting with the turtles.  Activities involved everything from banding their flippers (which looked like it hurt) to cleaning the beach.  One day we used seine nets to count how many small turtles were close to the beach.  We actually got to jump into the water and catch these fascinating creatures, which you'd never get to do if not part of a top-notch research project. 

In our free time, we took in the island’s terrestrial wildlife—which includes iguanas and an array of bird species—on hikes and on one of the institute’s lendable bikes. we also were able to kayaks to  explore the shoreline. They also organized a visit to a nearby island for snorkeling or relaxing on the beach, See our circle?  It felt good to just relax our aches and pains after a long day of physical activity! image

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 7 16 2:09 AM

Susie D wrote:
The Quest Guides decided to spend our Bahama vacation learning more about and hopefully saving sea turtles.  All varities of sea turtles are endangered, but several species are on the critical list.  The green sea turtle and the hawksbill sea turtle are in trouble. Even though the Bahamian government has made it illegal to catch them in the country’s waters, to save these endangered species from further decline, researchers need to ensure their habitats are protected from coastal development and climate change. 

We checked into our rooms at the Rainbow Lodge. This colorful B&B is an older facility, but was located close to the turtles.  The bright colors of the cabins are cheerful and the rooms are spotlessly clean.  We had the place to ourselves for the week ands were treated like royalty.  

Four mornings we traveled to the Cape Eleuthera Institute to attend classes and then have hands on time interacting with the turtles.  Activities involved everything from banding their flippers (which looked like it hurt) to cleaning the beach.  One day we used seine nets to count how many small turtles were close to the beach.  We actually got to jump into the water and catch these fascinating creatures, which you'd never get to do if not part of a top-notch research project. 

In our free time, we took in the island’s terrestrial wildlife—which includes iguanas and an array of bird species—on hikes and on one of the institute’s lendable bikes. we also were able to kayaks to  explore the shoreline. They also organized a visit to a nearby island for snorkeling or relaxing on the beach, See our circle?  It felt good to just relax our aches and pains after a long day of physical activity! image

Awesome job, Susie. Now......when are you taking the guide team there for real?! image

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 11 16 12:37 AM

Lavender Lynn wrote:
Here is our trip to the Bahamas
Make sure you turn on the speaker.
imageCopy of Ihπ trip in the Bahamas
Use our 100% online slideshow software to make your own photo or video slideshow like Copy of Ihπ trip in the created by Lynn Clay.

Fantastic job, Lynn. I'd love to do that trip for real. image

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 11 16 5:27 AM

I am feeling very stupid right now, but I tried to arrange my photos in order with my written information, but photo bucket (despite following the instructions) isn't allowing me to organize them to follow my info.  Just hoping the link for the slideshow of photos works at this point.

The Phi Rho Maniacs traveled to the Bahamas for a 2 week vacation.   We stayed at the Bahama Beach Club, which are furnished 2 to 4+ bedrooms condos with full kitchens.  The resort has a dive center called "Brendal's", which was so convenient to use on our many excursions.   The resort also has a restaurant/room service, pool and gorgeous white powder sand beach.  We all had many things we wanted to experience, so we went almost everyday on a new tour/adventure.  Here are the tours/trips we made during our stay: 

1. Pig Beach - Exuma, Bahamas on the uninhabited island of Big Major Cay.  So fun to be up close and even touch/feed the pigs aside from watching them swim.
  2. Dean's Blue Hole -  We went snorkeling to see the largest/deepest blue hole.  Just beautiful and you can't beat seeing all the marine life.
  3. Wild Dolphin Encounter - luckily this is one of the tours from our resort's Dive shop. 
  4. Lucayan National Park - Again we were able to use the resort's dive center to take us on a tour of the underwater cave system.
  5. While still at Lucayan National Park, we decided to kayak through the mangroves.
  6. Leon Levy Native Plant Preserve - Not to be missed is the waterfall, the mangrove with it's colonial spiders, the freshwater wetland where you'll see turtles up close and if your lucky a Green Heron. From there don't miss the display of poisonous plants, but don't touch! Next stop for us was a step back in time as we learned about medicinal plants and plants that native Lucayans subsisted on. After seeing the pineapple plants we hiked to Ethan's tower, where the view is breathtaking, look for epiphytic bromeliads along the way.

http://s169.photobucket.com/user/diner_photos/slideshow/Pi%20Rho%20Maniacs%20Eco%20tour%20Slideshow?sort=3

Last Edited By: Diner524 Aug 11 16 5:32 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 11 16 7:26 AM

Diner524 wrote:
I am feeling very stupid right now, but I tried to arrange my photos in order with my written information, but photo bucket (despite following the instructions) isn't allowing me to organize them to follow my info.  Just hoping the link for the slideshow of photos works at this point.

The Phi Rho Maniacs traveled to the Bahamas for a 2 week vacation.   We stayed at the Bahama Beach Club, which are furnished 2 to 4+ bedrooms condos with full kitchens.  The resort has a dive center called "Brendal's", which was so convenient to use on our many excursions.   The resort also has a restaurant/room service, pool and gorgeous white powder sand beach.  We all had many things we wanted to experience, so we went almost everyday on a new tour/adventure.  Here are the tours/trips we made during our stay: 
  1. Pig Beach - Exuma, Bahamas on the uninhabited island of Big Major Cay.  So fun to be up close and even touch/feed the pigs aside from watching them swim.
  2. Dean's Blue Hole -  We went snorkeling to see the largest/deepest blue hole.  Just beautiful and you can't beat seeing all the marine life.
  3. Wild Dolphin Encounter - luckily this is one of the tours from our resort's Dive shop. 
  4. Lucayan National Park - Again we were able to use the resort's dive center to take us on a tour of the underwater cave system.
  5. While still at Lucayan National Park, we decided to kayak through the mangroves.
  6. Leon Levy Native Plant Preserve - Not to be missed is the waterfall, the mangrove with it's colonial spiders, the freshwater wetland where you'll see turtles up close and if your lucky a Green Heron. From there don't miss the display of poisonous plants, but don't touch! Next stop for us was a step back in time as we learned about medicinal plants and plants that native Lucayans subsisted on. After seeing the pineapple plants we hiked to Ethan's tower, where the view is breathtaking, look for epiphytic bromeliads along the way.

http://s169.photobucket.com/user/diner_photos/slideshow/Pi%20Rho%20Maniacs%20Eco%20tour%20Slideshow?sort=3

Beautiful job, Lynn.  And I've seen a couple of other comments that people have had trouble re-sequencing photos - so it's not just you. image

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 11 16 11:19 PM

Lauralie51 wrote:
Sisters of the Traveling Pans
Lauralie51

We need to make a change for the Sisters. K-9 Owned had signed up for this challenge but I will be stepping in for her.

Thanks for letting me know, Lori. image

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Aug 12 16 8:51 AM

Lauralie51

BAHAMAS: ECO-TOURISM CHALLENGE

A group of friends who call themselves the Sisters which included twissis, Lauralie51, Cookgirl, LifeIsGood, K9 Owned, Stacy G, MamiJ, Annacia, Leggy Peggy and Nancy decided to take a trip together to the Bahamas. Our trip began with a week long visit to Bimini where we stayed at the beautiful Bimini Sands Resort and Marina. We each had our own condo with an ocean front view, pools, restaurants, and bars on property.

The first adventure we went on was to swim with the dolphins. Our guide said that swimming with the wild dolphins can be very special. For many it is a life long dream come true and some even say the dolphins have healing possibilities. We had an amazing time!

Sci Fi's Quest for Atlantis: Startling New Secrets followed several different groups researching possible locations for the legendary Atlantis which one was focused on Bimini Road. The rectangular stones lie in 15 feet of water one mile offshore of North Bimini and can be explored by snorkelers so in the water we went. While we each had different opinions on whether or not this was truly Atlantis it was a sight to see.

We had a great time snorkeling so another day was spent in the water. This time we went to explore the Rainbow Reef which is populated with Sergeant Majors protecting their egg clusters, schools of Smallmouth and French Grunts along with many reef fish. The reef is a protected marine sanctuary with depths of 15 to 25 feet which makes it perfect for the experienced and inexperienced alike.

While we were interested in learning about sharks we didnt want to be up close and personal with them so diving was out of the question but the Bimini Sharklab would be ideal for us. The Shark Lab was founded by Dr. Samuel Gruber in 1990 to study lemon sharks. A diversity of habitats from mangroves to coral reefs are in the Bimini archipelago which broadened the labs focus. Projects now include a wide range of shark and ray species including the great hammerhead.

Next was a hike thru the mile long Bimini Nature Trail. It is an eco-friendly environment where we saw the indigenous plants and animals that call Bimini home. In their natural environment we found birds, iguanas, snakes like the endemic Bimini Boa that is very important to the island, and other animals plus a variety of local plants including gum elemi, palms, poison wood. We didnt forget the bug spray!

Our last adventure was to the Fountain of Youth, although all the sister's are beautiful and showed no signs of aging. Explorer Juan Ponce de Leon learned from the Indians in the 1500's that Bimini was the site of the Fountain of Youth. According to Indian legend the spring supposedly restored youth to older persons who bathed in or drank its waters. In 1513 Ponce de Leon set sail to Bimini from Puerto Rico with three ships and although he found Bimini he failed to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. A well near the road leading to the airport that was carved out of limestone rock by ground water thousands of years ago is what the locals refer to a as the Fountain of Youth.

We all enjoyed our time together in Bimini but were happy to get back home!
http//www.photosnack.com/LoriSiade/ecotourismchallenge.html?UA_PHPSESSID=g59g5hqsdempstovnbtr74dro0

Last Edited By: Lauralie51 Aug 12 16 9:44 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 12 16 10:46 PM

Lauralie51 wrote:

Lauralie51

BAHAMAS: ECO-TOURISM CHALLENGE

A group of friends who call themselves the Sisters which included twissis, Lauralie51, Cookgirl, LifeIsGood, K9 Owned, Stacy G, MamiJ, Annacia, Leggy Peggy and Nancy decided to take a trip together to the Bahamas. Our trip began with a week long visit to Bimini where we stayed at the beautiful Bimini Sands Resort and Marina. We each had our own condo with an ocean front view, pools, restaurants, and bars on property.

The first adventure we went on was to swim with the dolphins. Our guide said that swimming with the wild dolphins can be very special. For many it is a life long dream come true and some even say the dolphins have healing possibilities. We had an amazing time!

Sci Fi's Quest for Atlantis: Startling New Secrets followed several different groups researching possible locations for the legendary Atlantis which one was focused on Bimini Road. The rectangular stones lie in 15 feet of water one mile offshore of North Bimini and can be explored by snorkelers so in the water we went. While we each had different opinions on whether or not this was truly Atlantis it was a sight to see.

We had a great time snorkeling so another day was spent in the water. This time we went to explore the Rainbow Reef which is populated with Sergeant Majors protecting their egg clusters, schools of Smallmouth and French Grunts along with many reef fish. The reef is a protected marine sanctuary with depths of 15 to 25 feet which makes it perfect for the experienced and inexperienced alike.

While we were interested in learning about sharks we didnt want to be up close and personal with them so diving was out of the question but the Bimini Sharklab would be ideal for us. The Shark Lab was founded by Dr. Samuel Gruber in 1990 to study lemon sharks. A diversity of habitats from mangroves to coral reefs are in the Bimini archipelago which broadened the labs focus. Projects now include a wide range of shark and ray species including the great hammerhead.

Next was a hike thru the mile long Bimini Nature Trail. It is an eco-friendly environment where we saw the indigenous plants and animals that call Bimini home. In their natural environment we found birds, iguanas, snakes like the endemic Bimini Boa that is very important to the island, and other animals plus a variety of local plants including gum elemi, palms, poison wood. We didnt forget the bug spray!

Our last adventure was to the Fountain of Youth, although all the sister's are beautiful and showed no signs of aging. Explorer Juan Ponce de Leon learned from the Indians in the 1500's that Bimini was the site of the Fountain of Youth. According to Indian legend the spring supposedly restored youth to older persons who bathed in or drank its waters. In 1513 Ponce de Leon set sail to Bimini from Puerto Rico with three ships and although he found Bimini he failed to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. A well near the road leading to the airport that was carved out of limestone rock by ground water thousands of years ago is what the locals refer to a as the Fountain of Youth.

We all enjoyed our time together in Bimini but were happy to get back home!
http//www.photosnack.com/LoriSiade/ecotourismchallenge.html?UA_PHPSESSID=g59g5hqsdempstovnbtr74dro0

Great job, Lori. image

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help