#2521 [url]

Sep 1 16 9:14 PM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Lauralie51 wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:
The Aussie tag game was lots of fun and, when it was in full swing, it drew players from many countries.
Still such a pity that foodnetwork ruined our fabulous playground. Luckily yuku has filled a gap. It's been
so great to catch up with everyone. Lori's quote above is so accurate.

And a little news flash. Petra, the daughter who was in Rio, returned Monday. She was told yesterday
that she has been posted to Vietnam for three years. She starts 56 weeks of language training later
next month (October, it's already September in Australia) and goes there in November 2017. She is
so excited and we are thrilled for her.

And I'll brag about her just a bit. She speaks three languages besides English. A few years back, she took
the foreign service language aptitude test. The highest possible score is 164. A person has to score at
least 100 for the foreign service to be willing to teach them any of the harder languages, such as Arabic, 
Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai. She scored 137. We agreed that she wouldn't have been considered
for the Vietnam post without such a good language score. Obviously she has to be qualified for the job too.

Wow Peggy -- that is awesome!  Please congratulate your daughter for me on her appointment to Vietnam. : )

My daughter-in-law, Monica, speaks fluent Mandarin and of course, English.  Both of my grandchildren attend Mandarin class and are learning to read and write it.  I watched her go over their homework one day and was amazed that just one tiny stroke of the pencil changes the word entirely.

How old are your grandkids Nancy? Can your son speak and write Mandarin?

I am in awe of anyone that knows a foreign language or two or three. My mom's uncle was a priest here at Notre Dame when she was younger and I think she said he spoke 13 different languages. I have trouble just getting English out of my mouth somedays. image image image

Belle is 13 and Jason is 10.  I think David can speak some Mandarin, but he certainly can't write it -- it looks really hard to me.  They visit Monica's parents every year so I think he knows enough to carry on a conversation and/or ask ?.

You have  very smart grandkids! I Googled the writing to see what it looked like and it does look very hard. 

Quote    Reply   

#2522 [url]

Sep 2 16 12:16 AM

Leggy Peggy wrote:
The Aussie tag game was lots of fun and, when it was in full swing, it drew players from many countries.
Still such a pity that foodnetwork ruined our fabulous playground. Luckily yuku has filled a gap. It's been
so great to catch up with everyone. Lori's quote above is so accurate.

And a little news flash. Petra, the daughter who was in Rio, returned Monday. She was told yesterday
that she has been posted to Vietnam for three years. She starts 56 weeks of language training later
next month (October, it's already September in Australia) and goes there in November 2017. She is
so excited and we are thrilled for her.

And I'll brag about her just a bit. She speaks three languages besides English. A few years back, she took
the foreign service language aptitude test. The highest possible score is 164. A person has to score at
least 100 for the foreign service to be willing to teach them any of the harder languages, such as Arabic, 
Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai. She scored 137. We agreed that she wouldn't have been considered
for the Vietnam post without such a good language score. Obviously she has to be qualified for the job too.

How exciting for Petra!

Quote    Reply   

#2523 [url]

Sep 2 16 12:25 AM

Hi folks, I'm just weaning myself off slowly.

Do we know what the final scores are for every team yet?  It may have been posted and I missed it.

Hope you are are doing well. image

Quote    Reply   

#2524 [url]

Sep 2 16 12:55 AM

imageLauralie51
Leggy Peggy wrote:

Lauralie51 wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:
Regarding sourdough starter -- 

Lori -- I reckon yours was going well (with all the bubles) but it may have stayed on the counter too long. 
After all the bubbles are going, I'd have  put mine in the fridge, tightly covered. I bring mine out of the
fridge about 4 hours before I intend to use it. There are more details (not complicated) which I am happy 
to pass on when you get a starter going. 

Kathy -- You're always welcome in Australia, so put us on your list. Zaar has a great 'family' history. JustJanS,
artandkitchen and Kookaburra have stayed with us. We've stayed with Potsie, JustJan and Rinshinomori.
We've dined with I'mPat and Joy Morris and met Jewellies, ChefFlower and more. If you want to go for
sourdough starter, I reckon this recipe is a winner http://breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

Watched the video and it helped a lot being able to see the stages of the starter. Very easy recipe...pineapple juice, water, and whole wheat flour no fancy ingredients. There is a store that has some neat stuff to help make bread a little easier. Thanks for the link Peggy! As soon as I get my starter going will email you and let you know. 

Oh gosh those are some names I remember from our old Zaar days together. Kookaburra and the stories about Mother Kooka were so funny sometimes!

So glad that video helped. I find this website really, really helpful for breadmaking. There's another good one of https://sourdough.com/

Mother Kooka is still going and in her mid-90s. She has Alzheimers and keeps Kooka very busy. 
If anyone remembers what Kooka looked like, you might be interested to know that she's lost more than 100 pounds. 

And thinking back to the Aussie tag. Peter J did a great job of mixing up the players. He's a computer genius. We always
reckoned that if anyone could sort of Food dot com, it would be Peter.

Oh my gosh that is awesome! How did she lose the weight?

Aww that is sad that MK has Alzheimers. Both my grandma's and dad passed away from complications from that hideous disease. My dad passed away at home with all of us with him. Every once in awhile he would come back and look at us and know who we were then he was gone again. It's been 3 years now and there have been folks that have acted like that is plenty of time to get it together and I should be fine. I was the first born and a major daddy's girl so I doubt I will ever be fine. image

I'm sorry about your grandmas and your dad. image

Quote    Reply   

#2525 [url]

Sep 2 16 12:57 AM

K9 Owned wrote:

Do we know what the final scores are for every team yet?  It may have been posted and I missed it.

I'm only checking @ twice a day now... image
I hope your business is going well!

Quote    Reply   

#2526 [url]

Sep 2 16 4:31 AM

Grand Finale Culinary Quest # 3

Congratulations to all of the teams!

Although our journey has come to an end, we are left with fun memories of our travel companions, learned a thing or two, and tried a dish new to us.  It was a terrific round of the Culinary Quest and YOU are what makes the journey worthwhile! 

Our first place team is the   π P Maniacs with a total score of 994 points!

TEAM: Σisters of the Traveling Pans - = 933

TEAM:   │ H π - 901

See you next summer! 
Susie D
NorthwestGal
lazyme
Nancy's Pantry

Quote    Reply   

#2527 [url]

Sep 2 16 5:10 AM

Wow gals! What a sterling effort. We came second. 

Many thanks to Mary Pat and Lori, the hosts, Nancy (our own guide) and all my teammates for a fun and tasty time. 

Just to be different, I cooked something Greek last night. hahahaha

And Kookaburra lost weight over about three years through diet and exercise. 

Quote    Reply   

#2530 [url]

Sep 2 16 8:25 AM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

AWESOME JOB, TEAM!!!!!

Thanks Nancy!!!    Yea for us!!!!!  I think we did fabulous and this is such a great team!!  I'll have to migrate over to cooking games now...but I'll miss just chatting!!

Quote    Reply   

#2531 [url]

Sep 2 16 8:31 AM

Did you all notice that the Sisters had 2576+ posts on our team thread!  That's 1,000 more than the next nearest team!  We may not have won first prize in the actual game, but I think 2576 posts is a huge testament to what a crazy, yappy, story telling, picture posting team we are!!!

Quote    Reply   

#2533 [url]

Sep 2 16 6:33 PM

Stacy G wrote:
Did you all notice that the Sisters had 2576+ posts on our team thread!  That's 1,000 more than the next nearest team!  We may not have won first prize in the actual game, but I think 2576 posts is a huge testament to what a crazy, yappy, story telling, picture posting team we are!!!

image  I noticed!! I love our team image

Quote    Reply   

#2534 [url]

Sep 2 16 10:24 PM

LifeIsGood wrote:

imageLauralie51
Leggy Peggy wrote:

Lauralie51 wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:
Regarding sourdough starter -- 

Lori -- I reckon yours was going well (with all the bubles) but it may have stayed on the counter too long. 
After all the bubbles are going, I'd have  put mine in the fridge, tightly covered. I bring mine out of the
fridge about 4 hours before I intend to use it. There are more details (not complicated) which I am happy 
to pass on when you get a starter going. 

Kathy -- You're always welcome in Australia, so put us on your list. Zaar has a great 'family' history. JustJanS,
artandkitchen and Kookaburra have stayed with us. We've stayed with Potsie, JustJan and Rinshinomori.
We've dined with I'mPat and Joy Morris and met Jewellies, ChefFlower and more. If you want to go for
sourdough starter, I reckon this recipe is a winner http://breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

Watched the video and it helped a lot being able to see the stages of the starter. Very easy recipe...pineapple juice, water, and whole wheat flour no fancy ingredients. There is a store that has some neat stuff to help make bread a little easier. Thanks for the link Peggy! As soon as I get my starter going will email you and let you know. 

Oh gosh those are some names I remember from our old Zaar days together. Kookaburra and the stories about Mother Kooka were so funny sometimes!

So glad that video helped. I find this website really, really helpful for breadmaking. There's another good one of https://sourdough.com/

Mother Kooka is still going and in her mid-90s. She has Alzheimers and keeps Kooka very busy. 
If anyone remembers what Kooka looked like, you might be interested to know that she's lost more than 100 pounds. 

And thinking back to the Aussie tag. Peter J did a great job of mixing up the players. He's a computer genius. We always
reckoned that if anyone could sort of Food dot com, it would be Peter.

Oh my gosh that is awesome! How did she lose the weight?

Aww that is sad that MK has Alzheimers. Both my grandma's and dad passed away from complications from that hideous disease. My dad passed away at home with all of us with him. Every once in awhile he would come back and look at us and know who we were then he was gone again. It's been 3 years now and there have been folks that have acted like that is plenty of time to get it together and I should be fine. I was the first born and a major daddy's girl so I doubt I will ever be fine. image

I'm sorry about your grandmas and your dad. image

sweetie thank you for the hug!! image

Quote    Reply   

#2535 [url]

Sep 2 16 10:38 PM

We did really well!  Many thanks to MP, Lori, Nancy and the organizers. 

I had noticed within the first week that we were the chattiest.  I love our team! I wonder if we put the fix in now if we can arrange to play together as a team next year.  That would be so cool!

Off to congratulate the runners up because we know that we were the real winners. image

Quote    Reply   

#2536 [url]

Sep 2 16 10:40 PM

LifeIsGood wrote:

K9 Owned wrote:

I'm only checking @ twice a day now... image
I hope your business is going well!

Thanks for asking doll.  Things settled down the last few days of the tour and have been going along peacefully since.  Woudn't you know it. image

Quote    Reply   

#2537 [url]

Sep 3 16 12:02 AM

CONGRATULATIONS SISTERS!!!

I have been trying to slowly stop coming by everyday so that our final day together wouldnt be so hard but it didnt work. image

Coming in first, second, or third place really didnt matter because I have enjoyed being on this team so much! Love that we were always ready to lend a hand to help each other, we chatted about anything and everything, and then there was all the cooking and amazing photos. 

Nancy loved having you as our Guide! I wont forget the night I was working late on challenges and you stayed up helping me remember to get them posted in the challenge threads. You were the best cheerleader!

Maybe next time the guides could put everyone on the same teams and then new folks could join. It would be hard to play against any of you!

Loads of hugs and love to you all!

Quote    Reply   

#2538 [url]

Sep 3 16 4:47 AM

Stacy G wrote:

AND guess how many views my Workspace totalled as of today ... 1,173! ... There were 28 players in this event (including 9 Sisters), so a relatively smal grp spent a lot of their time watching & watching & watching, etc. image

Quote    Reply   

#2539 [url]

Sep 3 16 5:09 AM

Lauralie51 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS SISTERS!!!

I have been trying to slowly stop coming by everyday so that our final day together wouldnt be so hard but it didnt work. image

Coming in first, second, or third place really didnt matter because I have enjoyed being on this team so much! Love that we were always ready to lend a hand to help each other, we chatted about anything and everything, and then there was all the cooking and amazing photos. 

Nancy loved having you as our Guide! I wont forget the night I was working late on challenges and you stayed up helping me remember to get them posted in the challenge threads. You were the best cheerleader!

Maybe next time the guides could put everyone on the same teams and then new folks could join. It would be hard to play against any of you!

Loads of hugs and love to you all!

Right back at you Lori ... I suggested something to Nancy during the time we spent in the Greece region. The Sisters were very lucky to have you & Janin to help us cover the Kids Challenge. I think Nancy may have even mentioned this ... I know your Drew helps you w/your cooking ... And we all know Mr Baker Man has this sudden new interest in baking & he also likes being a part of my recipe selection. Anyhow, I suggested they expand the "Kid" concept to include other family members .. esp husbands. Then I saw this on FB & about fell off my chair laughing ...

We had a great time w/Adriana (AAK) & her daughter Melissa last nite. Went out to eat for dinner because I was knee-deep in work to get ready for my family arriving tomorrow. But we did come back to our condo for dessert, coffee & chatty R&R. They left this morning for their driving trip around the country, but will be back again for a couple of days before they head home. They are very interesting people & so much fun. Melissa is studying to be a Chiropractor & Adriana even brought me some fresh honey from her beehives, some lovely Swiss chocolate ... Plus some things I had asked her to bring to me. It was like Christmas! So fun! image 

Quote    Reply   

#2540 [url]

Sep 3 16 5:42 AM

Stacy G wrote:

I think that means we get first place in the chinwag department.

Assume everyone can figure out that bit of Aussie slang.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help