#2501 [url]

Aug 31 16 7:02 PM

Regarding sourdough starter -- 

Lori -- I reckon yours was going well (with all the bubles) but it may have stayed on the counter too long. 
After all the bubbles are going, I'd have  put mine in the fridge, tightly covered. I bring mine out of the
fridge about 4 hours before I intend to use it. There are more details (not complicated) which I am happy 
to pass on when you get a starter going. 

Kathy -- You're always welcome in Australia, so put us on your list. Zaar has a great 'family' history. JustJanS,
artandkitchen and Kookaburra have stayed with us. We've stayed with Potsie, JustJan and Rinshinomori.
We've dined with I'mPat and Joy Morris and met Jewellies, ChefFlower and more. If you want to go for
sourdough starter, I reckon this recipe is a winner http://breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

Quote    Reply   

#2502 [url]

Aug 31 16 11:12 PM

twissis wrote:
Read on Facebook & this literally made me cry ...image image image

I so hope that's a true story. I literately brought tears to my eyes and a warm feeling to my heart.

Thank yo so much for sharing.

Stock Photos

Quote    Reply   

#2503 [url]

Aug 31 16 11:17 PM

Leggy Peggy wrote:

Lori -- I reckon yours was going well (with all the bubles) but it may have stayed on the counter too long. 
After all the bubbles are going, I'd have  put mine in the fridge, tightly covered. I bring mine out of the
fridge about 4 hours before I intend to use it. There are more details (not complicated) which I am happy 

Kathy -- You're always welcome in Australia, so put us on your list. Zaar has a great 'family' history. JustJanS,
artandkitchen and Kookaburra have stayed with us. We've stayed with Potsie, JustJan and Rinshinomori.
We've dined with I'mPat and Joy Morris and met Jewellies, ChefFlower and more. If you want to go for
sourdough starter, I reckon this recipe is a winner http://breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

I remember JustJan so well -- I think I was the only non-Australian who played the Australian tag game. LOL

Quote    Reply   

#2504 [url]

Aug 31 16 11:20 PM

Nancys Pantry wrote:
Leggy Peggy wrote:

I remember JustJan so well -- I think I was the only non-Australian who played the Australian tag game. LOL

B.K. was a steady player there.  smiley: happy

Stock Photos

Quote    Reply   

#2505 [url]

Sep 1 16 12:47 AM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

I played in that game for yrs, but not much in recent yrs of course & certainly not since most of us found new recipe homes away from F.com.

Quote    Reply   

#2506 [url]

Sep 1 16 5:37 AM

The Aussie tag game was lots of fun and, when it was in full swing, it drew players from many countries.
Still such a pity that foodnetwork ruined our fabulous playground. Luckily yuku has filled a gap. It's been
so great to catch up with everyone. Lori's quote above is so accurate.

And a little news flash. Petra, the daughter who was in Rio, returned Monday. She was told yesterday
that she has been posted to Vietnam for three years. She starts 56 weeks of language training later
next month (October, it's already September in Australia) and goes there in November 2017. She is
so excited and we are thrilled for her.

And I'll brag about her just a bit. She speaks three languages besides English. A few years back, she took
the foreign service language aptitude test. The highest possible score is 164. A person has to score at
least 100 for the foreign service to be willing to teach them any of the harder languages, such as Arabic, 
Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai. She scored 137. We agreed that she wouldn't have been considered
for the Vietnam post without such a good language score. Obviously she has to be qualified for the job too.

Quote    Reply   

#2507 [url]

Sep 1 16 6:44 AM

Leggy Peggy wrote:
The Aussie tag game was lots of fun and, when it was in full swing, it drew players from many countries.
Still such a pity that foodnetwork ruined our fabulous playground. Luckily yuku has filled a gap. It's been

And a little news flash. Petra, the daughter who was in Rio, returned Monday. She was told yesterday
that she has been posted to Vietnam for three years. She starts 56 weeks of language training later
next month (October, it's already September in Australia) and goes there in November 2017. She is

And I'll brag about her just a bit. She speaks three languages besides English. A few years back, she took
the foreign service language aptitude test. The highest possible score is 164. A person has to score at
least 100 for the foreign service to be willing to teach them any of the harder languages, such as Arabic, 
Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai. She scored 137. We agreed that she wouldn't have been considered
for the Vietnam post without such a good language score. Obviously she has to be qualified for the job too.

Wow Peggy -- that is awesome!  Please congratulate your daughter for me on her appointment to Vietnam. : )

My daughter-in-law, Monica, speaks fluent Mandarin and of course, English.  Both of my grandchildren attend Mandarin class and are learning to read and write it.  I watched her go over their homework one day and was amazed that just one tiny stroke of the pencil changes the word entirely.

Quote    Reply   

#2508 [url]

Sep 1 16 6:48 AM

Oh wow Peggy, you must be so proud of Petra. What other languages does she speak?

I will most definitely go check the other games, it's so good to have found this community of old zaarites

Quote    Reply   

#2509 [url]

Sep 1 16 6:53 AM

MamiJ wrote:
Oh wow Peggy, you must be so proud of Petra. What other languages does she speak?

I will most definitely go check the other games, it's so good to have found this community of old zaarites

Quote    Reply   

#2510 [url]

Sep 1 16 9:09 AM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

MamiJ wrote:

Thanks for the links. I'll be pretty swamped over the next couple of months, so might have to hold off until December. 

How exciting that your daughter-in-law is fluent in Mandarin. That's such a challenging language. And your grandkids are learning it too! A seocnd language is such an advantage these days. Chinese is taught widely in Australia because we are so close to China geographically and have thousands and thousands of Chinese who have migrated here.

MamiJ -- Petra speaks excellent French and Spanish, and has a good handle on German and Portuguese. I think she honed her language ear as a young child. 
We moved to Burma when she was nine months old, and she was surrounded by people who spoke Burmese and Karen. She knew both languages well back then (has since forgotten), but I think that gave her a long-lasting edge. Then, at age 16, she went on exchange for a year to the French-speaking part of Belgium. She's done more study in Switzerland too. 

Quote    Reply   

#2511 [url]

Sep 1 16 11:14 AM

LifeIsGood wrote:
Aww Lori, that is so sweet. image   I'll miss everyone, too. I am in the habit of checking in here first thing in the morning. I'm sure I'll duck into the tag games here and there, even when my schedule starts to heat up and get busy.

Have a great day! image

It's even to hard thinking about taking our sister's banner out of my avatar. image

Quote    Reply   

#2512 [url]

Sep 1 16 11:24 AM

Leggy Peggy wrote:

Watched the video and it helped a lot being able to see the stages of the starter. Very easy recipe...pineapple juice, water, and whole wheat flour no fancy ingredients. There is a store that has some neat stuff to help make bread a little easier. Thanks for the link Peggy! As soon as I get my starter going will email you and let you know. 

Oh gosh those are some names I remember from our old Zaar days together. Kookaburra and the stories about Mother Kooka were so funny sometimes!

Quote    Reply   

#2513 [url]

Sep 1 16 11:53 AM

Leggy Peggy wrote:

The Australian tag game was a lot of fun and had a good group of players that signed up every month. Was it Peter that helped host that game? He did a great job assigning everyone to their team and keept it rotating so we werent in the same place all the time.

Your daughter is amazing and congratulations on her assignment to Vietname!

Her score of 137, wow very cool! I couldnt imagine learning Arabic, that has to be a very hard language to learn. Peggy you have two very intelligent daughters!

Quote    Reply   

#2514 [url]

Sep 1 16 12:13 PM

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

Wow Peggy -- that is awesome!  Please congratulate your daughter for me on her appointment to Vietnam. : )

My daughter-in-law, Monica, speaks fluent Mandarin and of course, English.  Both of my grandchildren attend Mandarin class and are learning to read and write it.  I watched her go over their homework one day and was amazed that just one tiny stroke of the pencil changes the word entirely.

How old are your grandkids Nancy? Can your son speak and write Mandarin?

I am in awe of anyone that knows a foreign language or two or three. My mom's uncle was a priest here at Notre Dame when she was younger and I think she said he spoke 13 different languages. I have trouble just getting English out of my mouth somedays. image image image

Quote    Reply   

#2516 [url]

Sep 1 16 7:11 PM

twissis wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

I played in that game for yrs, but not much in recent yrs of course & certainly not since most of us found new recipe homes away from F.com.

Thank you, Peggy! I will definitely keep that in mind.

I played that game for a few years, too! It was run by PeterJ, I think. Ahhhh...the good ol' days!

Peggy, congrats to Petra!! Wow, what a great opportunity. Your girls sound like they are very smart and doing well in life. Always a comfort for a mom. image

Quote    Reply   

#2517 [url]

Sep 1 16 7:23 PM

Lauralie51 wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

Watched the video and it helped a lot being able to see the stages of the starter. Very easy recipe...pineapple juice, water, and whole wheat flour no fancy ingredients. There is a store that has some neat stuff to help make bread a little easier. Thanks for the link Peggy! As soon as I get my starter going will email you and let you know. 

Oh gosh those are some names I remember from our old Zaar days together. Kookaburra and the stories about Mother Kooka were so funny sometimes!

So glad that video helped. I find this website really, really helpful for breadmaking. There's another good one of https://sourdough.com/

Mother Kooka is still going and in her mid-90s. She has Alzheimers and keeps Kooka very busy. 
If anyone remembers what Kooka looked like, you might be interested to know that she's lost more than 100 pounds. 

And thinking back to the Aussie tag. Peter J did a great job of mixing up the players. He's a computer genius. We always
reckoned that if anyone could sort of Food dot com, it would be Peter.

Quote    Reply   

#2518 [url]

Sep 1 16 7:24 PM

Lauralie51 wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

How old are your grandkids Nancy? Can your son speak and write Mandarin?

I am in awe of anyone that knows a foreign language or two or three. My mom's uncle was a priest here at Notre Dame when she was younger and I think she said he spoke 13 different languages. I have trouble just getting English out of my mouth somedays. image image image

Belle is 13 and Jason is 10.  I think David can speak some Mandarin, but he certainly can't write it -- it looks really hard to me.  They visit Monica's parents every year so I think he knows enough to carry on a conversation and/or ask ?.

Quote    Reply   

#2519 [url]

Sep 1 16 8:24 PM

Leggy Peggy wrote:

Lauralie51 wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

So glad that video helped. I find this website really, really helpful for breadmaking. There's another good one of https://sourdough.com/

Mother Kooka is still going and in her mid-90s. She has Alzheimers and keeps Kooka very busy. 
If anyone remembers what Kooka looked like, you might be interested to know that she's lost more than 100 pounds. 

And thinking back to the Aussie tag. Peter J did a great job of mixing up the players. He's a computer genius. We always
reckoned that if anyone could sort of Food dot com, it would be Peter.

Oh my gosh that is awesome! How did she lose the weight?

Aww that is sad that MK has Alzheimers. Both my grandma's and dad passed away from complications from that hideous disease. My dad passed away at home with all of us with him. Every once in awhile he would come back and look at us and know who we were then he was gone again. It's been 3 years now and there have been folks that have acted like that is plenty of time to get it together and I should be fine. I was the first born and a major daddy's girl so I doubt I will ever be fine. image

Quote    Reply   

#2520 [url]

Sep 1 16 8:32 PM

LifeIsGood wrote:

twissis wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:

Leggy Peggy wrote:

Thank you, Peggy! I will definitely keep that in mind.

I played that game for a few years, too! It was run by PeterJ, I think. Ahhhh...the good ol' days!

Peggy, congrats to Petra!! Wow, what a great opportunity. Your girls sound like they are very smart and doing well in life. Always a comfort for a mom. image

Yes PeterJ that's it!! Thank you Kathy that was one of those things that irritate you because you know what it is but cant get it right away. image

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help