Lead

Sep 30 15 1:22 PM

Tags : :

I have been reading about the Paleo diet and it doesnt seem like it would be to hard to follow but wandering about the expense. Has anyone followed this diet? Any favorite recipes? How expensive was it?
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Sep 30 15 4:24 PM

Hi Lori image
Actually I'm more or less following a kind of paleo diet - I do eat gluten free grains sometimes and also legumes, but not very much any more. Main point of paleo is not to eat processed food, sugar and grains. Basically, eat things that are as free of anti-nutrients as possible and which you could eat raw. From my experience, you don't need tons of food when you eat paleo because this way of eating is much more satisfying. So even though some foods may be more expensive (grass fed beef, organic eggs), it's not really more expensive all in all. I'm totally fond of breakfast oat porridge, e.g., but I found that I do much better with a bowl of paleo pumpkin custard (pumpkin puree, half a mashed banana, 1 beaten egg, a bit coconut milk, dash of cinnamon, all slowly heated until you get a custard) or chia seed pudding (chia seeds, coconut milk, some fruit, drop of stevia, vanilla) or a vegetable frittata, or a bowl of avocado, tomato, canned tuna salad...
I do eat some dairy, but mostly sheep and goat milk produce.
Eating totally paleo also worked for me - no grains at all, no legumes, no dairy whatsoever. Main expense was organic meat and eggs (which I do buy anyway). Depending on whre you live, maybe there are farmers from whom you can get stuff. In Germany, most supermarkets have their own organic lables, which is not as expensive as buying from organic groceries.
I went back to also eating some dairy, grains and legumes because I felt good with them in moderation and like them, so I don't see why I should completely ban them from my diet.
Here are my favourite recipe sites for paleo:
http://elanaspantry.com/diets/paleo/
http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex
http://againstallgrain.com/
http://www.thepaleomom.com/

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 5 15 2:09 AM

Mia thank you so much for sharing! The pumpkin custard sounds so good and I think I saved a recipe for chia seed pudding. We have a nice Farmers Market not far from us that sells a lot of organic things so that will help to. I have such a craving for sweets and that is not good for me. Need to lose weight and I think eating all that sugar and crap affects my pain (making it worse). I think DH would have trouble switching to this way of eating but I am heading that way to keep us both healthy.

Will look thru the recipe links you posted and I found a few no bake cookies and apple bar that looked pretty good. If I find the recipes will post them here so you can take a peek. Do the different flours have a shelf life like AP flour? I cant use sugar substitutes because I get migraines but I think honey or agave is an ok substitute?

Thanks again hon!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 11 15 3:48 AM

Lauralie51 wrote:
Mia thank you so much for sharing! The pumpkin custard sounds so good and I think I saved a recipe for chia seed pudding. We have a nice Farmers Market not far from us that sells a lot of organic things so that will help to. I have such a craving for sweets and that is not good for me. Need to lose weight and I think eating all that sugar and crap affects my pain (making it worse). I think DH would have trouble switching to this way of eating but I am heading that way to keep us both healthy.

Will look thru the recipe links you posted and I found a few no bake cookies and apple bar that looked pretty good. If I find the recipes will post them here so you can take a peek. Do the different flours have a shelf life like AP flour? I cant use sugar substitutes because I get migraines but I think honey or agave is an ok substitute?

Thanks again hon!

Most people find that the sugar craving goes away after some sweets-free-time. Have you ever tried erythritol or truvia? Perosonally, I woudn't recommend agave because it contains too much fructose which is bad for the fat metabolism.
Honey is a nice thing, but after all, it's still sugar. A cup of honey is in fact not that much better than a cup of sugar, so the best thing would be to try and reduce anything sweet as much as possible. It can help to reduce it step by step, using one tablespoon less at a time.
Nut flours have a shorter shelf life than normal flour because nuts go rancid quickly.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 11 15 4:04 AM

duonyte wrote:
This is a chia pudding we liked http://www.food.com/recipe/blueberry-cardamom-chia-pudding-504817

Sounds yummy!! I have to try it
And that would be a good example to try reducing sweetener. Blueberries are sweet already, so you could try to use three tablespoons instead of 1/4 cup. If I'd make this for DH and me, I'd just use about 1 teaspoon sweetener for each serving, and it would still seem plenty sweet.
Just an idea, though

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help