Lead

Aug 1 15 10:20 PM

Tags : :

Most of us land up with jars of left over Jam or jelly thaat you really don't know what to do with! Here are some great ideas - hope that you will like them.

preserves make a great crepe filling, raspberry crepes with nutella anyone?
 swirl preserves, jams, and fruit butters into plain yogurt (or applesauce!) for a custom flavor

use jam or fruit butter as a glaze on a fresh fruit tart, how about an apricot tart glazed with apricot honey butter...

mix jam with cream cheese and use as a filling for stuffed french toast

glaze a ham with pineapple and apricot jams

spoon warm preserves over ice cream, pair with a brownie or sponge cake, and top with chopped nuts and whipped cream for a decadent sundae

use preserves and fruit butters to top off a plain cheesecake

use a spoonful or two of your favorite preserve in a fruit smoothie to add sweetness and fruit flavor
use a bit of jam to fill a cupcake (cut out a round peg from the top, fill with jam, replace the cake, and frost for a sweet surprise)

make sweet peach bbq sauce, combine 2 parts peach jam and 1 part bbq sauce... OR try a spicy pineapple variation: substitute pineapple jam for the peach jam and add fresh minced jalapeno pepper for a spicy sweet sauce that’s delicious on chicken wings.

hide a layer of jam in a meringue pie, how about raspberry or strawberry with lemon meringue? (spread the jam on the prebaked crust, freeze for a few minutes to set the jam and then add filling) ooh or swirl blackberry jam into key lime pie! how gorgeous would that be?

Fold in 1/3 - 1/2 c of preserves into your favorite brownie mix for a new twist on the traditional
I wish I had as many uses for pickles and relishes... I’ll have to think hard on that one. Tell me, how do you like to use your home canned goods?

spoon warm preserves over ice cream, pair with a brownie or sponge cake, and top with chopped nuts and whipped cream for a decadent sundae

use preserves and fruit butters to top off a plain cheesecake

How do you use up jams and jelly?

Last Edited By: Joyfulcook Aug 2 15 9:25 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Aug 17 15 1:17 AM

I need to find a recipe, but mother used to make a crumb cake with her preserves. A not too thick base , topped with a thin layer of jam or preserves, and a layer of crumbs made from the remainder of the batter. The jam would thicken and slightly caramelize. Really delicious!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 19 15 5:07 AM

I think you pretty much covered it ...

BBQ, I keep a generic brand in the fridge; then, I doctor it up depending on what I was making for dinner.
It maybe be apple, bourbon, and maple syrup.
Apricot, tequila, chipotle
Raspberry, rum, jalapeno
Grape, chipotle, green chilies

Lots of combos
------------------------------
I also mix leftovers preserves, jellies, etc with butter. Perfect to spread on a toasted slice of bread, croissant, etc.
It is also great to top a grilled chop, steak or chicken.

You can also mix in grated onion, garlic, etc. It makes a great finish to a protein.

I use mango preserves, butter; add some herbs; and top over grilled fish, scallops, or as a sauce to dip shrimp in.
---------------------------------------------------
Cherry, blackberry, grape jellies; are really nice to add to a rich gravy to serve over beef or lamb, pork.
I use lighter flavors, grape, apricot, etc; mixed with chicken broth to serve as a gravy over chicken or pork.
-----------------------------------------------------
Mixed with mustard or horseradish, and maybe some garlic and grated onion; it makes a great glaze for chicken, pork, lamb, beef etc.
----------------------------------------------------
And my favorite ...
Make a vinaigrette.
Add a little oil, some shallots or garlic, herbs and a little citrus juice or vinegar. Perfect. Gives a great flavor to salad; and, you can use any flavor too.

I have made tons of these; and, they are all good and really easy to make. Change up the vinegar with red wine, balsamic, white wine, rice wine, champagne vinegar, etc. And, try a mix of greens or grilled veggies. You might be surprised how good it is.

Kim ~ Eat, Live, and Love! 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help