Lead

Jun 13 15 6:40 PM

Tags : :

Never thought of using pasta as a dessert - these couple of recipes will soon change your mind!

Chocolate Stuffed Shells (Conchiglioni dolci al cacao)
From: “Pasta Modern: New & Inspired Recipes from Italy,” by Francine Segan

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 24 large shells, serves 4 to 6
Use just cocoa powder for unsweetened shells that become a gorgeous reddish-brown color, or sweeten the cocoa powder with confectioners’ sugar for a lovely dark-colored sweet shell. Using a teaspoon, fill the shells with anything you like. Pictured here is milk chocolate and dark chocolate pudding.
Other fun options:
Ice cream, slice of banana, dollop fudge sauce and chopped nuts for a mini sundae
Ricotta, sugar, mini chocolate chips for a soft cannoli
Mascarpone cheese, sugar and drop of coffee for an instant tiramisu
Cream cheese, fruit jam and fresh fruit for Italian-style cheesecake
Ingredients
24 jumbo shells
Salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
Fillings and garnishes: about 2 cups total of gelato, custard, whipped cream, fruit, yogurt, etc.
Directions
1. Cook the shells in lightly salted boiling water until al dente and drain.
2. For sweeter shells, put the cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar, to taste, into a sturdy plastic food storage bag. Toss the shells, a few at a time, into the bag until fully coated with cocoa powder. For less-sweet shells, toss them in just cocoa powder. Fill with anything you like.

Cannoli Pasta Bites (Mezzi Maniche Dolci)
From: “Pasta Modern: New & Inspired Recipes from Italy,” by Francine Segan

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Try this recipe once and, like me, I bet it will become one of your go-to desserts.
There are lots of ways to vary it. One of my favorite variations is to fill the fried pasta with mascarpone cheese sweetened with sugar and then dust with instant coffee granules and cocoa powder, for a riff on tiramisu.
Ingredients
1 cup ricotta
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely chopped dark chocolate or mini chocolate chips
1 tablespoon minced candied orange peel
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1/4 pound mezzi maniche
Salt
Vegetable oil
Optional garnishes: chopped pistachios, chopped candied cherry or orange peel, cocoa powder or chopped chocolate
Directions
1. In a bowl, using a fork, mix the ricotta, sugar, chocolate, candied peel and cinnamon until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until very tender, about 1 minute longer than al dente. Drain the pasta well. Meanwhile, heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a very small saucepan until hot, but not smoking. Add half of the pasta and fry until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining pasta.
3. When room temperature, roll the fried pasta in granulated sugar, then fill each with the ricotta mixture, either using an espresso spoon or by piping it in with a pastry bag. Garnish, if you like, with chopped pistachios, candied orange peel, grated chocolate or other toppings.

Do you use pasta in desserts, if so please share your recipes and ideas.
Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 14 15 3:26 AM

kchurchill5 wrote:
I am not sure if this is where I first got this recipe from - I think it was from a magazine; but, I think this is the same. It is a really nice recipe.
I did add chopped almonds, more fruit, raspberry liquor to the sauce; and, finished with mint.

http://www.rotinrice.com/2010/10/chocolate-pasta-with-white-chocolate-liqueur-sauce/

oh my that looks delicious - I have to be honest and say that I have not heard of pasta desserts before now

Last Edited By: Joyfulcook Jun 18 15 3:48 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 14 15 5:04 PM

I have made a couple of chocolate pastas; and, this was by far the best. This wasn't the recipe I used; I can't find the link - but, this looks just like it. It was really good. I'm sure the same, just another site is all.

Dessert pasta is actually very good. I want to try a chocolate ravioli with a cream cheese ricotta filling and a strawberry sauce. I have also seen a sweet regular ravioli stuffed with chocolate then, a fruit sauce. I think those would be really fun.

Kim ~ Eat, Live, and Love! 

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 18 15 9:55 AM

Let me look it up; had a few laptop issues; but, I think it is at work on my other pc. My friends recipe; and, she sent me the link. I think she sent me both links for each ravioli.

It's actually very easy. I haven't made it myself, but tried it.

Kim ~ Eat, Live, and Love! 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help