Lead

Apr 19 15 10:41 PM

Tags : :

These are the basics that you will need, but not all at the start. First and most important is 
Soya sauce, both light and dark, oyster sauce,  Five Spice powder,  Sesame Oil and of course noodles or rice

You can slowly build up your pantry bit at a atime.  CHinese cooking is really not that hard at all and the results are sure to please you. Just dont try and do too many dishes at a time.

Prepared black bean sauce
Chinese five-spice powder
Chile paste or sauce
Whole and crushed dried red chiles
Hoisin sauce
Sichuan peppercorns
Oyster-flavored sauce
Star anise
Plum sauce
White pepper, ground
Course ground black pepper
Rice vinegar

Rice wine (or dry sherry)
Sesame oil
Soy sauce - light and dark
Cornstarch
Vegetable oil (peanut oil preferred)
Dried black mushrooms
Long-grain rice
Cellophane or bean thread noodles
Sesame seeds
Dried egg noodles (store in freezer if fresh)
Water chestnuts

Happy Woking!
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Apr 20 15 6:54 AM

OK, gonna start with ... I admit ... once again.

Yes, I love Chinese, Yes, I do make it ... NO NOT very often for just me.
I do make it for guests/company, and ladies I cook for.

But, just for me, I order it. I love to get 4-5 different items; so, it is great when I go out with someone else or a group and get to order different dishes.

So, for me ...I really make it when others are coming over.

I do however make stir fry often, fried rice; and, now and then egg rolls as an appie. So, all the spices and sauces ... I always have them on hand.

Also, these are NOT always used in just chinese cooking; so, they are used in many dishes I make.

Kim ~ Eat, Live, and Love! 

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 20 15 6:56 AM

Fish sauce and other Chinese noodles, Soba, lomein, etc. Shitaki mushrooms, dried and fresh. Bean sprouts, fresh if possible, but canned is ok if rinsed well.

Kim ~ Eat, Live, and Love! 

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 21 15 9:20 PM

Sue Lau wrote:
Bean sauce is vital.

Other things, like wood ears, are great. There is a universe of Asian ingredients, far to many to list.

Thanks for that Sue

Last Edited By: Joyfulcook Apr 21 15 9:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 21 15 9:25 PM

kchurchill5 wrote:
Fish sauce and other Chinese noodles, Soba, lomein, etc. Shitaki mushrooms, dried and fresh. Bean sprouts, fresh if possible, but canned is ok if rinsed well.

Thanks Kim, there is so much more than my list - actually it seems never ending.  I have started off more with the basic ingrtedients, but will compile a more detailed one too.  All the sauces, like Hot Bean, Yellow bean...... etc etc

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help