#21 [url]

Apr 22 15 2:51 PM

I agree with Joy, skip the pastes, making it is much better. I have never had luck with them. And thanks for the Nepalese recipe!

Nancy, I am so into the vegetarian Indian food that I really don't even desire ordering meat (then again, having food poisoning on a butter chicken dish once probably biologically keeps me away!).

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Apr 22 15 7:28 PM

Maito wrote:
Joy, now I know why the Nepalese dish sounded so good, I have made it already, it was yummers!

Glad athat you enjoyed it - its so so easy and the taste is great!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Apr 22 15 7:35 PM

Nancys Pantry wrote:
My closest neighbors and my family try to have a quarterly get-together at one of our houses to catch up on life.  We all take food and beverages.  Two of my neighbors are Indian.  Both of them like spicy dishes, but one neighbor is vegetarian.  The third neighbor is from Honduras (hubby from Cuba and raised in Spain) so she generaly brings Cuban food.  We have quite the International food experience and I get lots of wonderful Indian recipes too. : )

oh my, that sounds wonderful what a great idea.....also you can swap recipes

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Apr 22 15 8:50 PM

Joyfulcook wrote:

Nancys Pantry wrote:
My closest neighbors and my family try to have a quarterly get-together at one of our houses to catch up on life.  We all take food and beverages.  Two of my neighbors are Indian.  Both of them like spicy dishes, but one neighbor is vegetarian.  The third neighbor is from Honduras (hubby from Cuba and raised in Spain) so she generaly brings Cuban food.  We have quite the International food experience and I get lots of wonderful Indian recipes too. : )

oh my, that sounds wonderful what a great idea.....also you can swap recipes

Funny thing happened at the Indian market yesterday -- I bumped into one of my neighbors (who originally referred me to this grocery).  While there, she was able to take me around and show me some different products that she uses in her cooking.  Had a great time.

Also, I loaded up on samosas (pea/potato/cashew and spinach/paneer) and some other frozen appetizers that you can just pop in the oven.  I picked up some tamarind paste, tamarind chutney, cilantro chutney and a "pakoda" sauce which she recommended - a bit on the spicy side.  They keep a great supply of frozen naan, rosti and even kulfi (mango and all sorts of flavors) - grabbed some of this too.

Now I'm fully stocked and can just pull out these items from the freezer when I'm ready to enjoy some great Indian appetizers.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

May 7 15 3:44 PM

Not an introductory cookbook, but for those who enjoy making Indian food, I just love Maya Kaimal's cookbook, Curried Favors. There are some really bangin' recipes in there - dosas, sambar, an awesome tomato "chutney", tons of veggie dishes, I could go on and on. This is just from memory - and I haven't even cooked from it in a long time.

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

May 8 15 3:39 AM

Maito wrote:
Not an introductory cookbook, but for those who enjoy making Indian food, I just love Maya Kaimal's cookbook, Curried Favors. There are some really bangin' recipes in there - dosas, sambar, an awesome tomato "chutney", tons of veggie dishes, I could go on and on. This is just from memory - and I haven't even cooked from it in a long time.

Love the recommendations I must check them out - thing is that I have not always heard of them. you must look at Charmaine Solomons cookbooks I have been using hers for years and years and she keeps updating. and have vegetarian, encyclopdias curries, malayian, Indonesian Sri Lanka etc they are all there.

Last Edited By: Joyfulcook May 8 15 3:25 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

May 9 15 2:59 PM

Maya Kaimal is Indian and had some guest appearances (and maybe her own show at one time?) on Food Network, which is the big food channel for tv in the US. I find the same thing sometimes too, where I can't find a cookbook in the bookstore. You can always order them (obviously), but I really like to open the actual book, look at how it is laid out, the photos, if the recipes are suited well for me, etc.

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

May 10 15 3:35 AM

Maito wrote:
Maya Kaimal is Indian and had some guest appearances (and maybe her own show at one time?) on Food Network, which is the big food channel for tv in the US. I find the same thing sometimes too, where I can't find a cookbook in the bookstore. You can always order them (obviously), but I really like to open the actual book, look at how it is laid out, the photos, if the recipes are suited well for me, etc.

I totally agree about wanting to flip thought a cookbook before we by them.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help