Lead

Apr 13 15 3:51 AM

Tags : :

Raclette is a Swiss/French dish, that really was first used in the ski huts after a hard days skiing - lots of fun eating this meal, love the complete idea and you can change so many ingredients too to suit your taste 

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Apr 13 15 4:31 AM

Hi Joy!
We love raclette as well! The additions are very versatile and I love the addtition of spices as well!

Our favorite spices for the melted cheese: pepper (any color), nutmeg, mexican mis (!), paprika, caraway.
Some of our favorite additions/combination: balsamic onions (https://artandkitchen.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/balsamic-onions/), pears (in pieces, delicious with cheese but pineapple could be great as well), boiled potatoes, pickled cucumbers, dried tomatoes in oil, any salads, cappers, preserved peppercorns in brine and sliced champignons.

Sometimes I can get raclette cheese with peppercorns... we love spieces! image

Here a few new ideas: http://www.raclette-suisse.ch/uploads/tx_netvracletterezeptbroschueren/Dutzend-leckere-Rezepte-en.pdf (English version!)

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 13 15 2:44 PM

Okay, confession time ... I have to admit that I've never made raclette or even eaten it as far as I know. It looks like it resembles a fondue -- Another Swiss dish first popularized in the 1930's. Where do you buy the equipment for it? .. and .. At what cost? .. and .. Do you feel that you use it often enough to warrant the expenditure?  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 14 15 7:36 AM

I've only ever had it with cheese (not meats and things) either in Switzerland or in Swiss restaurants in the US. When my friends in Switzerland made it for me, they used this huge cheese wheel thing that heated the cheese on top and then they would spin it down and scrape the warm cheese down the length of it onto each person's potatoes. I did find a quick way to do it here without any equipment - it's not exactly the same, but you can get the idea of what it tastes like:

http://www.food.com/recipe/raclette-potatoes-and-cheese-from-switzerland-423402

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 14 15 10:48 PM

imageGood way to prepare it Maito!

The equitpment is not really expensive (50$ or so), but this takes a lot of space into the cupboard if it is big. We have a small one for 4 persons and we use it about 3 times each winter. During the meal I eat about  4 slices of cheese. It's convenient as I can adjust the speed of cooking and I dont' have to eat all at once until still hot.
The fun is sitting at the table, combine the ingredients and top the potatoes with the broiled cheese, about 10 minutes later the next slice of hot cheese.

Melt the cheese in the microwave in not real good because it is not broiled. Perhaps the cheepest way and more similar to the orignal would be a small non sticky pan that you can place into the oven to broil the cheese.  Then pour the cheese over the potatoes.  Place more cheese into the oven while eaten the first portion.

The original?  A big piece of cheese placed near the flames of the open fire and scrab the melted hot cheese into the plates!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 15 15 3:44 AM

We have Raclette at least once every two weeks and the raclette itself cost about £25 the difference between a Fondue and a raclette is that a fondue is usually cooked in oil where a raclette is cooked on those dishes you see on top of the raclette itself, and when you finish you add the cheese and pop under where it can then be grilled Twissis - totally yummy and I often change the ingredients - usually served on cut up cooked potatoes

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help