Lead

Apr 7 15 3:43 AM

Tags : :

WE'VE GONE GLOBAL with CUISINE BY CONTINENT! -- We hardly know where to begin, but Joy & I are talking about getting organized & how all things will work. There's a general plan that includes goals Susie shared with us Re Featured Ingredients, Guest Hosts, etc. We need to revisit all our discussion & may need to make April a "Get Acquainted Month" so we can begin the organized plans in May. Like I said, we're talking & more details will follow. If you're interested in a particular continental cuisine, want to suggest a topic or are willing to act as a Guest Host in 1 (or more) of the 6 forums, we would love to hear from you.

Joyfulcook & twissis, aka Joy & Mary Pat

Last Edited By: twissis Apr 7 15 6:00 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Apr 7 15 1:49 PM

edited: now I see this is Africa, and each one with the same title is a different continent. Can't wait to see what you have in store!

Maito

Last Edited By: Maito Apr 7 15 1:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:08 PM

So, we can post on any topic about that continent? I noticed the other Africa topic is potatoes, but has nothing to do with Africa - I was thinking of one of my favorite Ethiopian dishes that has potatoes.

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:09 PM

Maito wrote:
edited: now I see this is Africa, and each one with the same title is a different continent. Can't wait to see what you have in store!

image    Good Morning Maito!

Yep, you got it right & we're in our own "anticipation phase" right now. Glad you dropped by & feel free to share things that would be of special interest to you.  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:17 PM

Maito wrote:
So, we can post on any topic about that continent? I noticed the other Africa topic is potatoes, but has nothing to do with Africa - I was thinking of one of my favorite Ethiopian dishes that has potatoes.

When we've had more time to get organized, there will be a planned format that will at least include featured ingredients, Guest Hosts, etc. BUT yes, you're welcome to post topics of special interest related to the continent that heads the forum. ... 1 of the challenges is that some of the forums where topics had been posted no longer exist, but their threads might still be relevant or of interest. We'll be looking at those too. Some may "go away" while others may be moved to a more relevant geographical locale. I actually moved 2 threads this morning into the North America forum.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:24 PM

twissis wrote:

Maito wrote:

When we've had more time to get organized, there will be a planned format that will at least include featured ingredients, Guest Hosts, etc. BUT yes, you're welcome to post topics of special interest related to the continent that heads the forum. ... 1 of the challenges is that some of the forums where topics had been posted no longer exist, but their threads might still be relevant or of interest. We'll be looking at those too. Some may "go away" while others may be moved to a more relevant geographical locale. I actually moved 2 threads this morning into the North America forum.

Sounds exciting! Yeah, the potato topic might be more relevant in North America too. Do you ever eat Ethiopian food? I love it so much, all the vegetarian dishes, but the one with the potatoes, carrots and cabbage is my favorite. I have tried to make it at home from recipes, but it never comes out the same. I tried making Injera years ago and did have better luck with it.

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:51 PM

Maito wrote:

twissis wrote:

Maito wrote:

Sounds exciting! Yeah, the potato topic might be more relevant in North America too. Do you ever eat Ethiopian food? I love it so much, all the vegetarian dishes, but the one with the potatoes, carrots and cabbage is my favorite. I have tried to make it at home from recipes, but it never comes out the same. I tried making Injera years ago and did have better luck with it.

The interesting thing about potatoes is that they're an ingredient probably common to all Continental Cuisine in 1 form or another & therefore might work well as a featured ingredient shared by all the continents. When I moved the other threads, I wasn't ready to decide that potatoes "belonged" to a particular cuisine. They felt more "universal" to me at the time. image

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 7 15 3:14 PM

I know what you mean, they are definitely universal, but the thread is mostly on mashed, potato salads, etc. that definitely aren't African. I guess it's a hard decision, if you can only have it stored in one forum.

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 7 15 9:48 PM

Maito wrote:

Good Afternoon Maito, I have to admit that all the threads that are in the differant countries that are mine are quite old I have not put them there myself specially as it has no bearing on Africa.They all used to be under the TOTM forum but now it no longer exists, I think they need to be moved to the right place... if there is one lol
I used to be one of the hosts in the Africa forum on Zaar and love the sounds of Ethiopian dishes. 

Last Edited By: Joyfulcook Apr 7 15 9:50 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 8 15 7:59 AM

Cookgirl wrote:
I'm assuming (safely I hope! ) that this includes the cuisine of NORTH AFRICA, yes?

imageimageimageimage ...... YES, your assumption is correct. image

Oops - I somehow neglected to "quote" so you'd have a clue who was responding, but you probably would have assumed it was The Twisted One. image

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 8 15 1:10 PM

I get what you are asking cookgirl, middle eastern type cuisine as well, right? Delicious. I am really excited about your new continent forums!

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 8 15 1:14 PM

Do you think cooking games will be part of the new forums, or more discussions? I know I am probably asking a question you haven't figured out the answer to yet!

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 8 15 6:54 PM

Maito wrote:
Do you think cooking games will be part of the new forums, or more discussions? I know I am probably asking a question you haven't figured out the answer to yet!

For at least the near future & likely long-term as well, cooking games are not a part of the game-plan & you're invited to join them in the Cooking Games Forum. image

I speak for myself on this as it hasn't been discussed w/Joy, but Cuisine By Continent for Africa will likely include all of Africa plus the Middle East since we are all familiar w/that combo of cuisines. NA-ME seems likely to morph into N&SA-ME. image   

We plan to feature ingredients, the cuisines & have Guest Hosts share their knowledge of & love for the cuisine of each continent. If you have an ingredient or topic to suggest, speak up --- AND let us know if you'd be willing to do a month-long Guest Host Feature. Joy & I will likely soon share a plan for May & the Culinary Quest is also in our future for the summer. Watch for this banner for details as we are able to make them available:

Last Edited By: twissis Apr 8 15 7:03 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 12 15 12:12 AM

artandkitchen wrote:
imageCG! Was quick! I wanted to ask the same question: Middle East?

WOW, great nice having this threads here!

Thank to the hostess!

I think for the next few weeks - until we can start to sort ourselves out, yes, the Middle East can come under Africa

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 12 15 7:52 PM

I'm excited to see the different continents - so glad you guys are doing this! I was confused by the potatoes, too. Thanks for taking on this task!

x_3f8ef896 photo x_3f8ef896_zps98be3951.gif

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Apr 25 15 11:41 PM

I've made injera once or twice using teff flour. Fortunatley I can find teff flour in bulk
at our local natural food stores. It is an intersting bread.
I think the recipe called for club soda or something like that. It's been a long time...

photo waltographregular_zps2e2655c9.png

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 27 15 1:45 PM

Cookgirl wrote:
I've made injera once or twice using teff flour. Fortunatley I can find teff flour in bulk
at our local natural food stores. It is an intersting bread.
I think the recipe called for club soda or something like that. It's been a long time...

We can get it too. It has been a long time since I made it, I think it took like 3 days? Have you made any of the Ethiopian vegetarian dishes? It's that potato cabbage carrot one that I wish I could replicate better!

Maito

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help