Lead

Apr 7 15 3:11 AM

Tags : :

WE'VE GONE GLOBAL with CUISINE BY CONTINENT! -- We hardly know where to begin, but Joy & I are talking about getting organized & how all things will work. There's a general plan that includes goals Susie shared with us Re Featured Ingredients, Guest Hosts, etc. We need to revisit all our discussion & may need to make April a "Get Acquainted Month" so we can begin the organized plans in May. Like I said, we're talking & more details will follow. If you're interested in a particular continental cuisine, want to suggest a topic or are willing to act as a Guest Host in 1 (or more) of the 6 forums, we would love to hear from you.

Joyfulcook & twissis, aka Joy & Mary Pat

Last Edited By: twissis Apr 7 15 5:56 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 8 15 7:12 PM

ImPat wrote:
Looking forward to some lively discussions. image
Pat

We are too, Pat. Does FF&F have other members who are mostly identified w/the Australian Continent like yourself?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 8 15 7:31 PM

Maito wrote:
Australia is one place I have not been yet, but understand there is a huge climate difference depending on where you are?

I'm not really sure how the climate can vary according to "where you are". The Australian Continent includes just 3 countries, but also a large area of islands where the climate seems certain to vary & which earned it the alternate name of Oceania. I did find out that the 4 seasons each have beginning dates as follows & they are polar opposites of the dates common in the US ... Winter (June 21st) -- Spring (September 22nd) -- Summer (December 21st) -- and -- Autumn (March 21st). It's all apparently a matter of science as "These dates are determined by the position of the Sun relative to the celestial equator." I've never heard this before, but I wonder if the same explanation is used around the globe? -- It's definitely WINTER here in Iceland! I can testify to that & tell you I once saw it snow on June 30th! image

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 9 15 7:34 AM

I think I am the only Aussie on site, with the demise of the forums on food I have lost contact with most of them except Tisme, she has joined ZAZZ so will contact her and give her the link to FFF&F.

Pat

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 9 15 12:37 PM

twissis wrote:

Maito wrote:
Australia is one place I have not been yet, but understand there is a huge climate difference depending on where you are?

I'm not really sure how the climate can vary according to "where you are". The Australian Continent includes just 3 countries, but also a large area of islands where the climate seems certain to vary & which earned it the alternate name of Oceania. I did find out that the 4 seasons each have beginning dates as follows & they are polar opposites of the dates common in the US ... Winter (June 21st) -- Spring (September 22nd) -- Summer (December 21st) -- and -- Autumn (March 21st). It's all apparently a matter of science as "These dates are determined by the position of the Sun relative to the celestial equator." I've never heard this before, but I wonder if the same explanation is used around the globe? -- It's definitely WINTER here in Iceland! I can testify to that & tell you I once saw it snow on June 30th! image

That's really interesting, I didn't know that, but it makes sense where Iceland is located. The last few years we haven't had winter in CA, more like fall (60-70 F). I read on wikipedia that Australia can vary from 122 °F to well below zero. There is also a cool color coded map on climate up top too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 10 15 3:35 AM

twissis wrote:

ImPat wrote:
Looking forward to some lively discussions. image
Pat

We are too, Pat. Does FF&F have other members who are mostly identified w/the Australian Continent like yourself?

Pat - its me .... Joy aka joyful cook another Aussie.  cant wait for the fun to begin

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 10 15 3:14 PM

Joy, for some reason I had that in the back of my mind, but thought maybe I had made it up - stored from some long ago unremembered conversation on fooddotcom?

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 12 15 4:55 AM

Maito wrote:
Joy, for some reason I had that in the back of my mind, but thought maybe I had made it up - stored from some long ago unremembered conversation on fooddotcom?

well you have agood memory its going to be a bit of fun

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 12 15 4:58 AM

Seeing that we had our first Barbecue the other day - I could do with a few good
aussie marinades - the only way to cook a good BBQ is to use marinades - hope that someone can help me out. thanks I do have a few but need a few new ones!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 12 15 4:59 AM

ImPat wrote:
I think I am the only Aussie on site, with the demise of the forums on food I have lost contact with most of them except Tisme, she has joined ZAZZ so will contact her and give her the link to FFF&F.

Pat

Don't Forget me

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 12 15 5:02 AM

Maito wrote:

twissis wrote:

Maito wrote:

That's really interesting, I didn't know that, but it makes sense where Iceland is located. The last few years we haven't had winter in CA, more like fall (60-70 F). I read on wikipedia that Australia can vary from 122 °F to well below zero. There is also a cool color coded map on climate up top too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

In Australia, it an get down to frosts in some places and then be that hot in Summer...... the vast range of heat really was too much for me, as I found that as I got older I found the extreme heat just too much to take.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Apr 12 15 2:46 PM

Joy, I hear ya on extreme heat, I don't do well with that or extreme cold either. The range in temperatures for one country though is so fascinating for me. BTW, what makes a marinade Aussie?

Maito

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 13 15 12:46 AM

Maito wrote:
Joy, I hear ya on extreme heat, I don't do well with that or extreme cold either. The range in temperatures for one country though is so fascinating for me. BTW, what makes a marinade Aussie?

Last Edited By: Joyfulcook Apr 13 15 3:20 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 25 15 8:32 AM

Hi Joy just doing some catch up here and I have two marinade recipes that may be of interest

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/hot-spicy-marinade-for-beef-18495

Doing anything special for ANZAC Day - round here it will be very quite as Kevin has gone out for the day with a carer, Chris is sleeping as he has come of night shift and Mum and I are having quiet time (so Chris can sleep) and well just about everything in Perth is shut down for this auspicious day.

Sorry about not recognising you as an Aussie but I think that is because with the exception of the short time you were here I have only known you to live in Britain but I am the opposite as I was born in Scotland but my family immigrated here to Australia when I was 3 years old and I have lived here now for 55 years and never been out of the country.

Pat

Last Edited By: ImPat Apr 26 15 2:44 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Apr 26 15 8:53 PM

ImPat wrote:
Hi Joy just doing some catch up here and I have two marinade recipes that may be of interest

Doing anything special for ANZAC Day - round here it will be very quite as Kevin has gone out for the day with a carer, Chris is sleeping as he has come of night shift and Mum and I are having quiet time (so Chris can sleep) and well just about everything in Perth is shut down for this auspicious day.

Sorry about not recognising you as an Aussie but I think that is because with the exception of the short time you were here I have only known you to live in Britain but I am the opposite as I was born in Scotland but my family immigrated here to Australia when I was 3 years old and I have lived here now for 55 years and never been out of the country.

Pat

Hey Pat!  We commemorated ANZAC day by watching all the live broadcastes on TV and remembered all the other times that we celebrated.  Years ago when Simon was in the CMF he was in the colour party for the parade and thats going back to the 60's  We lived in Australia from 1962 to 1998, came to the UK, then went back for the two years that you met us... then back here again we are Aussie citizens since the early 80's.

Thanks for those marinades I have saved them!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jun 9 15 10:39 AM

Hi Joy, Twissis and Lori Mama - I have some holiday snaps of our trip so far to Kalbarri and would like to share in the Aussie section of FFF&F but not sure in which section so if you would like them posted please let me know where or as Maito suggested start a new thread and if so how?

Pat

Last Edited By: ImPat Jun 9 15 1:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help