#41 [url]

May 26 15 8:29 PM

I was thinking about the subject of blogging on multiple topics and thought that grouping several blogs together under one editor is the best idea. I know I have a second blog for secondary recipes that I am not putting on the main  blog at this time, and that others do that as well.
I would make a second blog and link  it under some outbound tabs at the top of the page. What this does is divde those blog posts away from the others, keeps them grouped so they don't run together under  the main feed.
I have  another 2 blogs I have been wanting to start on diverse topics unrealted to food. I haven't started them  yet (time issues) but those are in the works. I think bloggers just like to gab, and gab about all sorts of things. LOL I know I do!
This blogging thing  really is contagious once you start. Money may not always be great (although sometimes it is) but I do have to say that being oaid to post recipes is far better than giving them away just to watch the people you gave them to sell them for a windfall.
Hey, I am just happy to recoup my costs for the "extras" bells and whistles I  put on the blog. (these things aren't required in case anyone wonders about blogging costs). But it does cost money to run your own domain, hire VA's, get custom software and design, and  lots of other bonus things. I can't afford the VA. WIsh I could!!! I just run a porr, rickety run-down, hole in the wall eating establishment. But it is mine and I am proud of it.

Visit my blog:

Quote    Reply   

#42 [url]

May 27 15 5:38 AM

Sue Lau wrote:
I was thinking about the subject of blogging on multiple topics and thought that grouping several blogs together under one editor is the best idea. I know I have a second blog for secondary recipes that I am not putting on the main  blog at this time, and that others do that as well.
I would make a second blog and link  it under some outbound tabs at the top of the page. What this does is divde those blog posts away from the others, keeps them grouped so they don't run together under  the main feed.
I have  another 2 blogs I have been wanting to start on diverse topics unrealted to food. I haven't started them  yet (time issues) but those are in the works. I think bloggers just like to gab, and gab about all sorts of things. LOL I know I do!
This blogging thing  really is contagious once you start. Money may not always be great (although sometimes it is) but I do have to say that being oaid to post recipes is far better than giving them away just to watch the people you gave them to sell them for a windfall.
Hey, I am just happy to recoup my costs for the "extras" bells and whistles I  put on the blog. (these things aren't required in case anyone wonders about blogging costs). But it does cost money to run your own domain, hire VA's, get custom software and design, and  lots of other bonus things. I can't afford the VA. WIsh I could!!! I just run a porr, rickety run-down, hole in the wall eating establishment. But it is mine and I am proud of it.

Sounds like a good idea. My Future Expat blog has evolved around topics a few times, and I've moved some posts back and forth between the two blogs as I shifted their focus. I had a 3rd blog I shut down after a while, and imported some of the posts to Future Expat. It's hard running multiple blogs, but it's also hard keeping the focus for the reader consistant. 

Have you thought about putting both sets of recipes on one blog, and then having category pages in the navigation instead of just a main feed? One could be original recipes and the other could be recipes reviews from around the web. Or whatever the 2nd blog is. 

I've thought about starting to post some of my reviews to my blog. I would just post my pictures, thoughts and tweaks to the recipe, and then link back to the original recipe. That way I'm still giving credit to the recipe author but sharing my finds with my readers. I doubt my readers would care if my recipes were mine or I pointed them to something else good on the web. And it really is about the reader experience, not my arbitrary organization. 

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

May 27 15 9:54 AM

My current method for doing recipes not mine is to put the ings list in the recipe printout, akong with a clickable link to the original recipe. Some recipes I won't blog because I don't want to link to their site for a few different reasons. So far those have been the big archive recipe sites like food or zazz. I had been linking back to zazz to give them some extra help, but when I shared a photo on there that wasn't even from my blog but not something on their site (this was in the forums) and was immediately accused of spamming, I took the hint,  left, and have been severing ties ever since. 
Someone there obviously dislikes it when a member starts blogging.
As if they own  our lives.  But whatever.
I was thinking of writing a satirical blog with a funny name some troll called me in a blog comment. I thought it was a riot. I want to get artwork prepared first. I doubt it would get any follwing at all but who cares, right? It would be for me. As it is, my main blog is written for my daughter so she can have recipes at her fingertips.
I don't want to put the two food blogs together because in time, it will have all the recipes I have around, such as on,  such as food.com and zazz and I don't want to have any untoward rank affect the first one, since Google penalizes duplication. I had added some older recipes and pics to the first  blog early on and wish I had not.

Visit my blog:

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

May 27 15 7:58 PM

I always heard that duplicate content is only considered duplicate if the content is more than 80% the same, and if you changed up the first and last paragraph, that should be enough to have google see it as something unique. My point is that if you wanted to incude your older recipes that are on those big sites and you simply add an original entry paragraph or some commentary about the recipe that is unique, you should be fine. In fact, it should do better as it is a fresh article and has more information than just the recipe. 

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jun 8 15 4:50 AM

image I have two "wordpress" blogs and I never tried to make money with them.
The first blog ( https://artandkitchen.wordpress.com/)  is about cooking and travelling; perhaps it would be better to split it into two blogs, but travelling and cooking are very close for me as traveling is the major inspiring factor for new recipes. I love taking pictures and I love place them in the internet. I have always many recipe drafts waiting for their turn to be written.
The second blog (https://artandkitchenbyfoodfriends.wordpress.com/)  is for reviews and to find the recipes again.
It would be nice get some money with my hobby by blogging, but I really would not know where to start and I suppose I can't make enough money for the hours spending trying to make money. Perhaps I'm wrong and I should try. I'm afraid this would "bind" me to the internet too much!
To keep my blog running while I'm away I schedule my posts so that I don't need to be online every day.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jun 8 15 9:29 PM

artandkitchen wrote:
The first blog ( https://artandkitchen.wordpress.com/)  is about cooking and travelling; perhaps it would be better to split it into two blogs, but travelling and cooking are very close for me as traveling is the major inspiring factor for new recipes. I love taking pictures and I love place them in the internet. I have always many recipe drafts waiting for their turn to be written.
The second blog (https://artandkitchenbyfoodfriends.wordpress.com/)  is for reviews and to find the recipes again.
It would be nice get some money with my hobby by blogging, but I really would not know where to start and I suppose I can't make enough money for the hours spending trying to make money. Perhaps I'm wrong and I should try. I'm afraid this would "bind" me to the internet too much!
To keep my blog running while I'm away I schedule my posts so that I don't need to be online every day.

It's not to hard to make a little spending money...or enough to pay for hosting and some costs involved in actually running the blogs. But it is a ton of work to make a real income. I'm not actively doing much related to making money right now other than Google Adsense. It's really easy to install and you stick a couple of ad blocks in the sidebar or at the bottom of posts. I was really resistant to that for a long time, but I think most people expect to find a few ads on a website nowadays and just skim right over them if they aren't interested. I don't have a ton of traffic and I'm made a few hundred dollars with basically no work. 

The other way I've made a little money is from sponsored posts. You don't have to have a lot of traffic to get companies to pay you to share your thoughts on their products if you have a targeted topic. You can also do sponsored posts in exchange for a free product that you want, and those are really easy to do. Tons of cooking stuff out there you can get. You just have to disclose that you got compensation. I won't right something really negative on my blog about a product, so if I find a product I didn't like then I give the company the option for me to not right about it, even though I promised to when I received the product. 

Here's an example of a sponsored post I did with a recipe in exchange for a free frying pan that I needed to replace. 
http://futureexpat.com/matzah-brie-recipe-ozeri-green-earth-pan/
This one reads a lot more like a real advertisement for the product with a recipe thrown in. You can also do a post that lightly mentions the product and links to where it can be bought, which can be really helpful if you are sharing tips about a kitchen gadget that your readers actually might find helpful in their home. 

And another sponsored review that I did that mentioned the product and make it clear it was sponsored, but was more about content.
http://futureexpat.com/tiny-dog-treats/

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jun 8 15 9:31 PM

artandkitchen wrote:

I just realized that you are on wordpress.com instead of self hosted. No issues there, but you can't add advertising like Google Adsense. I think you can still sell your own ads and can do sponsored posts though. 

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jun 9 15 7:38 AM

karenstl wrote:

artandkitchen wrote:

It's not to hard to make a little spending money...or enough to pay for hosting and some costs involved in actually running the blogs. But it is a ton of work to make a real income. I'm not actively doing much related to making money right now other than Google Adsense. It's really easy to install and you stick a couple of ad blocks in the sidebar or at the bottom of posts. I was really resistant to that for a long time, but I think most people expect to find a few ads on a website nowadays and just skim right over them if they aren't interested. I don't have a ton of traffic and I'm made a few hundred dollars with basically no work. 

The other way I've made a little money is from sponsored posts. You don't have to have a lot of traffic to get companies to pay you to share your thoughts on their products if you have a targeted topic. You can also do sponsored posts in exchange for a free product that you want, and those are really easy to do. Tons of cooking stuff out there you can get. You just have to disclose that you got compensation. I won't right something really negative on my blog about a product, so if I find a product I didn't like then I give the company the option for me to not right about it, even though I promised to when I received the product. 

Here's an example of a sponsored post I did with a recipe in exchange for a free frying pan that I needed to replace. 
http://futureexpat.com/matzah-brie-recipe-ozeri-green-earth-pan/
This one reads a lot more like a real advertisement for the product with a recipe thrown in. You can also do a post that lightly mentions the product and links to where it can be bought, which can be really helpful if you are sharing tips about a kitchen gadget that your readers actually might find helpful in their home. 

And another sponsored review that I did that mentioned the product and make it clear it was sponsored, but was more about content.
http://futureexpat.com/tiny-dog-treats/

Great example even though I don't blog was fun to go see how you do it.

x_3f857df8 photo x_3f857df8_zps88a318c3.gif

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Jun 9 15 7:39 AM

karenstl wrote:

artandkitchen wrote:

I just realized that you are on wordpress.com instead of self hosted. No issues there, but you can't add advertising like Google Adsense. I think you can still sell your own ads and can do sponsored posts though. 

Adriana, please keep us up to date as to how this goes.

x_3f857df8 photo x_3f857df8_zps88a318c3.gif

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jun 10 15 10:12 PM

Bloggers can monetize any way they like. May not get to put something like adsense on wp.com but I don't want to do those anyway. If I am going to blog for product, any blogger does well to ask for two of an item, one to use in a recipe development, another to use in a drawing/giveaway. The benefit is not for extra cash, but using the drawing to pull in readers. Because to be honest, doing a  post for $25 in product is insulting. I'd be interested in the traffic the post would produce. It is in the traffic that better paid posts come. Because they WILL want  to know your stats as well as your social media info.
It is not a problem fr me to pitch the media and I am extremely interested in getting word that goes  into print, or involves references in print media. It draws in readers who might not find my blog otherwise.
As for republishing material I own, I try to keep as much of the write up and photos as new and different as possible. And all my potential edits are updated, so if a recipe is on my blog, it is superior to any previous version. If people see a recipe of mine on say, food.com, if it is on P.Pastime. the one on the blog is newest and improved. So for updating, I don't necessarily republish anymore unless it has new photos and the recipe itself is newer and better. I have many  any new recipes written for the blog I have't had time to post so those  take priority over older material published elsewhere.

Visit my blog:

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Jun 13 15 9:19 PM

I want to thank Adrianna (ArtandKitchen) for letting me add her photo of my recipe from the tag game to my post. I think it's a great way to support each other. Whenever someone takes a photo of my recipes and posts it here, I try to always ask if they they mind if I add the photo to my post. Sometimes, like with Adrianna's picture, I want to feature it actually in the post. Especially if their picture is better than anything I have taken. 

Here are two that I did that with:
Photo by Adrianna - http://futureexpat.com/balsamic-chicken-recipe/
Photo by Sue - http://futureexpat.com/hanukkah-latkes-potato-pancakes-recipe/

Other times, I add the photo to their comment like I did here:
Photo by Nancy - http://futureexpat.com/recipe-sweet-apple-fritters/
Phot by Mikekey - http://futureexpat.com/barley-mushroom-bake-recipe/

I think it's a great way to support each other. The photos in the main part of the post are always credited and linked to the poster's website, if they have one, and are DO FOLLOW links. The ones in the comments can be linked via their name (no follow). 

If you are on WP and want to add the photos (with permission of course), it's very easy. Go to edit comment from your admin area on the live post when you are logged in. Click on the IMG tag. Then paste the URL and it adds the photo. You can grab the URL from any picture added to this forum with a right click. When adding the IMG to the post, you can do it in the media gallery by pasting the URL instead of saving the picture and uploading to your site. This also would also give a do follow link to that site too. 

I'm also totally ok with someone reposting a modified version of my recipe on their website, and using any of my pictures, as long as they offer the courtesy of linking back to my original recipe. 

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jun 16 15 3:17 AM

Thanks a lot Karen for you explanations and linking the photos to my blog.
Today I wrote a post about blogging, photos, and how the style changed during the years though a constant learning process.

https://artandkitchen.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/sharing-recipes-and-pictures-of-food-before-and-after-of-salsa-alle-noci/

This is the example I posted:

imageimage

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jun 16 15 3:32 AM

Hi Sue, I'm slowly getting more traffic, but as the blog was thought to be for our fun and for sharing recipes.
As you told us I have many recipes that still have to be posted, so they have the priority. I make some of my F00D.C0M recipes from time to time, and when I have better photos I repost them into my blog. 
The blog for reviews require little time as I don't lot of text to the photos, I copy the ingredients and I link to the original recipe for the explanations. If for some reason the recipe will be deleted I still have the photo and the ingredients.... and ... I can find it again easely what in F00D.C0M  is a real problem.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help