#401 [url]

Aug 5 16 9:01 AM

I did the Thai curry challenge:

Grilled Chicken with Thai Curry Dipping Sauce - I love the combination of sweet and heat, but I don't like it too hot or too sweet either.  I have also found that just adding a little fish sauce takes a sauce to the next level; I guess it has umami, or whatever.  This sauce is a little on the thick side sort of like a chunky ketchup.  Except it's not ketchup.  This recipe has rather small portion sizes for all you dieters out there.  Be sure to serve one or two side dishes to go with this.  Also, take a tip from me, let the chicken cool a little bit, then slice it thinly across the grain.  Served this way it looks like far more meat than it actually is.

image




This is a recipe I developed for a cooking challenge.  While it is perhaps not authentically Thai, it is made up exclusively from ingredients used in Thai cooking.

Grilled Chicken with Thai Curry Dipping Sauce

Serves

4 servings

Time to Make

  • 15 minutes of active preparation
  • 2 hours to marinate chicken
  • 5-10 minutes of grilling
Ingredients

Chicken
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 4 thin, equal, palm-sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
Curry Dipping Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup chopped pineapple
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon red curry paste
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground Vietnamese coriander (or other ground coriander)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 can coconut milk, shaken
  • 1 red chili pepper, minced
  • 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated or minced
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • lime juice, optional
 Instructions
  1. First make a marinade for the chicken.  Combine the coconut oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Pour over the chicken and marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
  2. Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce so that it can come to room temperature and the flavors marry.  In a saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium low heat.  Be careful not to have the heat too high because coconut oil is not suitable for high heats.  Add the onions and saute until they begin to soften.
  3. In a food processor, process onions, tomato, pineapple, and basil until smooth.
  4. To the saucepan, stir in the curry paste, cumin, coriander, and turmeric.  Cook, while stirring a minute or two.  Stir in the mixture from the food processor, the coconut milk, chili pepper, and ginger.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  5. Stir in fish sauce.  Add lime juice, if using, just before serving.
  6. Set a grill to high heat.  Remove chicken from marinade and sprinkle with a little salt.  Grill until cooked through, just a minute or two on each side.  Serve with the dipping sauce.

Quote    Reply   

#402 [url]

Aug 5 16 10:46 PM

Scores for Round 1
Congrats everyone!!




image



TEAM: Σisters of the Traveling Pans
Azores - 140
+5 points chorizo #6

Japan - 120
+5 points daikon #8

Philippines - 69
-5 points - servings 2-4

Round 1 - 329




TEAM:   │ H π 
Azores - 130
+5 points kale #2
+5 points pork shoulder #7
-5 points #10 - 2-4 servings

Japan - 115
No adjustments

Philippines - 109
-5 points #11 - 2-4 servings
+10 points bonus - sprinkles - momaphet, Muffin Goddess

Captain's deadline penalty - minus 25 points

Round 1 - 329



TEAM:  π P Maniacs
Azores - 133
-10 points #2, #8 - 2-4 servings
-5 points #7 review states that collard greens were used rather than kale

Japan - 140
+10 points #5 #6 salmon

Philippines - 99
-5 points 13 steps rather than 12

Round 1 - 372

 

Quote    Reply   

#407 [url]

Aug 6 16 6:20 AM

What day of the week was October 12th, 1492?















The correct answer was Friday.


















Columbus and his crew were literally the first tourists to spend a weekend in the Bahamas. image
 

Quote    Reply   

#408 [url]

Aug 6 16 6:39 AM

threeovens wrote:

Diner524 wrote:
Lucy how do you want to work the slide show challenge? I am open to doing whatever is needed.

I'll have to read it again, then we can decide what photos we want to include.  I am working on my pirate challenge.  It was lots of fun.

Love your pirate challenge post, great job!!  To me, one of us searches for the photos and one makes the slide show, does that work?


Quote    Reply   

#409 [url]

Aug 6 16 6:47 AM

JostLori wrote:

Diner524 wrote:
Lori what do you need from all of us for the team challenge with the floating market? I know one thing I was trying to find here was fresh lemon grass but couldn't find, even after going to a small Asian market, so I settled with lemon grass in the tube, which is still the real thing but in a different form. So that would be the one thing I would buy from the floating market.

Awesome, Lynn! I'll definitely make that one of our purchases!  Honestly, I've had a very trying last few days, so busy, busy! So I haven't had time to focus on that one yet. But, tomorrow is looking good for a day at the computer! Once I get a handle on the project, I'll let everyone know what I need!

On the lemongrass, that stuff is so, so easy to grow! We had tons of it lining our super long driveway in Costa Rica, and one huge plant in a large pot on our patio (easier to reach for cooking!). I love lemongras & ginger tea! For some reason, our dogs liked eating it, too - even though it has really rough saw-tooth edged leaves!

Well I am getting into the growing of herbs etc.(growing chives, green onion, lemon basil, thyme,  sweet onions, bell peppers, cucumbers and now Myers Lemons and a Lime tree.  So I will have to see if I can find seeds to plant for this herb.  Let me know if you need me to help in any other way (other than writing the story/creative part, lol).


Quote    Reply   

#411 [url]

Aug 6 16 9:13 AM

Reposting as I think these got missed:
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/pina-colada-carrot-pineapple-salad-bahamas-24426 was made and reviewed for the Bahamas Fruit Challenge (did do a double check and is showing in its thread)

Also made and reviewed for Thailand & Indonesia
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/indonesian-ginger-chicken.html?p=1
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/thai-stylegreen-beans-and-cauliflower-with-cashews.html

p.s. did check and they are showing on page one of the Thailand & Indonesia thread

Quote    Reply   

#412 [url]

Aug 6 16 9:40 AM

lazyme wrote:
Scores for Round 1
Congrats everyone!!




image



TEAM: Σisters of the Traveling Pans
Azores - 140
+5 points chorizo #6

Japan - 120
+5 points daikon #8

Philippines - 69
-5 points - servings 2-4

Round 1 - 329




TEAM:   │ H π 
Azores - 130
+5 points kale #2
+5 points pork shoulder #7
-5 points #10 - 2-4 servings

Japan - 115
No adjustments

Philippines - 109
-5 points #11 - 2-4 servings
+10 points bonus - sprinkles - momaphet, Muffin Goddess

Captain's deadline penalty - minus 25 points

Round 1 - 329



TEAM:  π P Maniacs
Azores - 133
-10 points #2, #8 - 2-4 servings
-5 points #7 review states that collard greens were used rather than kale

Japan - 140
+10 points #5 #6 salmon

Philippines - 99
-5 points 13 steps rather than 12

Round 1 - 372


 

Woo Hoo!!!  I LOVE this team!


Quote    Reply   

#413 [url]

Aug 6 16 9:52 AM

image

Hi all!  I've not disappeared from the face of the earth!  I've been cooking Thai and Bahamian, but haven't had the time to upload and edit pics to Photobucket (ugh!).

I've finished the rough draft of the Floating Market challenge. You can see it in my workspace at: http://4foodfriendsandfun.yuku.com/topic/1690?page=1#.V6VOLfkrLIU

Just scroll to the bottom. And also take a look a the discussion item I started on our FB page.  One thing I do need is Forever Mama's real name, so I can include her in the story! And, if you could double check me to be sure I included all the required elements in the story.

The photos for the story are in the post right above it. I still need to insert them to the other post.  I'm rambling. See you on Facebook!!!


Quote    Reply   

#414 [url]

Aug 6 16 8:37 PM

Diner524 wrote:

threeovens wrote:

Diner524 wrote:
Lucy how do you want to work the slide show challenge? I am open to doing whatever is needed.

I'll have to read it again, then we can decide what photos we want to include.  I am working on my pirate challenge.  It was lots of fun.

Love your pirate challenge post, great job!!  To me, one of us searches for the photos and one makes the slide show, does that work?

Sure.  Now which do you prefer to do?  I think a slideshow can be made in Photobucket, but I can't access that from work.

Quote    Reply   

#415 [url]

Aug 6 16 8:43 PM

I haven't been updating page one for a couple of days. I'm going to do it right now.

As for the score, it was the triplets, as I call them, that put us over the top. There were 3 recipes that had 7 steps and were made by two people, so that was an automatic 30 points right there! That's why I say cook whatever you like and it will all work out in the end!

Quote    Reply   

#417 [url]

Aug 7 16 6:16 AM

This is Jim Thorpe. 

image



​If you look closely at the photo, you can see that he's wearing different socks and shoes. This was not a fashion statement.It was the 1912 Olympics, and Jim, a Native American from Oklahoma was representing the U.S. in track and field. On the morning of his competitions, his shoes were stolen. Luckily, Jim ended up finding two shoes in a garbage bin. That's the pair that he's wearing in the photo. But one of the shoes was too big, so he had to wear an extra sock.Wearing these shoes, Jim won two gold medals. He won the both the decathlon and pentathlon. 

Quote    Reply   

#420 [url]

Aug 7 16 9:24 AM

Susie D wrote:
This is Jim Thorpe. 

image



​If you look closely at the photo, you can see that he's wearing different socks and shoes. This was not a fashion statement.It was the 1912 Olympics, and Jim, a Native American from Oklahoma was representing the U.S. in track and field. On the morning of his competitions, his shoes were stolen. Luckily, Jim ended up finding two shoes in a garbage bin. That's the pair that he's wearing in the photo. But one of the shoes was too big, so he had to wear an extra sock.Wearing these shoes, Jim won two gold medals. He won the both the decathlon and pentathlon. 

He also went on to play profession football, baseball, and basketball!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help