Lead

Nov 6 15 11:26 PM

Tags : :

It's time to dust off those recipe keepsakes that we only bring out during the holidays.  We all look forward to those wonderful comfort foods; especially those passed on to us from our Moms and Grandmothers.

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on our blessings, families and friends!  And, of course, we can't leave out the bounty of delicious food that brings us all together.

Please share your favorite holiday recipes with us and let us know the things that you are most thankful for.

Dragonfly graphics

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 8 15 6:53 AM

My parents were WWII refugees and a lot of traditional Thanksgiving recipes never made it. Mother loved turkey but instead of stuffing, she would fill the cavity with cored and halved tart apples and prunes. These soaked up juices as they cooked and were a wonderful accompaniment to the turkey. I still do this, as I've taken to cooking the stuffing as a side dish. I sometimes soak the prunes in rum or brandy.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 10 15 3:50 AM

duonyte wrote:
My parents were WWII refugees and a lot of traditional Thanksgiving recipes never made it. Mother loved turkey but instead of stuffing, she would fill the cavity with cored and halved tart apples and prunes. These soaked up juices as they cooked and were a wonderful accompaniment to the turkey. I still do this, as I've taken to cooking the stuffing as a side dish. I sometimes soak the prunes in rum or brandy.

The apples and prunes sound absolutely wonderful.  If you have a recipe you would like to share, please do. : )

Dragonfly graphics

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 20 15 2:30 AM

Nancy, no recipe. Just get some tart apples - mother was partial to Granny Smiths - cut in half or quarter, core. Keep in acidulated water if not using right away. Mother did not plump her prunes, I often will in wine or rum or just water. Stoned or not, but stoned are easier to eat. Then judt toss theminto the cavity and roast away.

The next time I do this, i intend to add some slices of lemon, Meyer if I a find any. I think that would be nice.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help